• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Is this safe to keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I found it in the backyard, and I'd like to keep it but I don't know if it would be safe since it would be in the room with Java.
20200502_123123.jpg

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Hopefully someone who knows will weigh in on the safety... but wow - what a nice big feather! Any idea what type of bird lost that one?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hopefully someone who knows will weigh in on the safety... but wow - what a nice big feather! Any idea what type of bird lost that one?
I have no idea. We have hawks and vultures here, even owls. I thought maybe a crow but it looks too big to be a crow. It was just sitting right in the middle of the backyard.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's unfortunate. No big deal, I'll just get rid of it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I know it's silly, but if it weren't there would be AHs killing crows and ravens for a feather. Ravens run about 3- 4 pounds and that's bigger than any macaw except a Hyacinth - so maybe it's a raven feather.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
That's unfortunate. No big deal, I'll just get rid of it.
Yeah unfortunately there are a ton of laws surrounding birds and their feathers. I know in some places it can even result in prison time, depending on the type of bird. I've heard of people getting their entire collection of skulls, pelts, taxidermy, etc confiscated because they had a feather or something from a protected species. It's unfortunate, but better safe than sorry.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know it's silly, but if it weren't there would be AHs killing crows and ravens for a feather. Ravens run about 3- 4 pounds and that's bigger than any macaw except a Hyacinth - so maybe it's a raven feather.
Interesting. I didn't think we had ravens in TN. I always thought they were really big crows. Whatever creature it came from, it sure is big.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah unfortunately there are a ton of laws surrounding birds and their feathers. I know in some places it can even result in prison time, depending on the type of bird. I've heard of people getting their entire collection of skulls, pelts, taxidermy, etc confiscated because they had a feather or something from a protected species. It's unfortunate, but better safe than sorry.
Sheesh, that's a little extreme but I completely understand why. I don't have any specimens or anything, and I doubt I would ever get in trouble for it but just to be on the safe side, I'll put it back outside.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That looks like a Turkey vulture feather,,,shhhh... :hsh: spray it with some lysol, leave it outside for a couple days, then proudly hang it on the wall..I have lots of them..

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Only if someone has a bunch in they're panties, know you have them,,and report you.. that's why you shushhhhh...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I may or may not have dove, Swan, peacock and flamingo feathers in my glass cabinet.
I don't know if there are laws here against that, I never really thought about it.
That's one lovely feather you found Brittany :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Lol.... I may or may not have had a whole Wedge tail eagle at one time and at another time a few molted feathers from one (not dead) as a nice little display on my wall.
It is illegal here too but apparently nothing is really done, like they don't go searching places for these particular items unless you are dobbed in for a good reason. Obtaining them by finding them out in nature and keeping them is likely to only have them confiscated from you if something happens to alert the authorities to you owning them- something like a massive collection of parts, live or taxidermy beasts that are protected is a completely different matter.

I would not think you are likely to get into a pile of trouble for finding a feather in your yard and wanting to use it for looking at........ at a guess I would think the worst that would happen under those conditions is they confiscate it?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yeah, that feather didn't look black enough for a raven - they are really, really black.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Aw man. I have a small box of feathers I find. Mostly chicken and duck feathers, but others too.:innocent: I had no clue this was a thing!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looking at pictures of the turkey vulture, I'd definitely say that's where it came from. I see vultures all the time, at least once a day, and I've seen them clustered on the side of the road picking at carrion. I live near train tracks and the freeway, so I always see them circling the skies. As for the feather, I'll spray it with F10SC and let it sit out in the sun for a few days before I stash it. It'll be our little secret
:innocent:

Status
Not open for further replies.