• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this plucking or Molting?

perri_fran

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Frank
Hi Guys,

Iam new to macaws as I’ve always had cockatoos I noticed tonight my BG macaws inner legs has no feathers is this normal iam really worried!! His 12months

Attachments

Reactions: Ali

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It’s not plucking or moulting. It’s pretty normal for that area to be sparsely feathered. Your bird is also way too young to have any kind of plucking problem. It’s just barely past the baby stage.

What is more of a concern To me is what looks like a tight leg band. Leg bands are nothing but a safety hazard and should be removed.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
It's normal, but like John said, have that band removed. None of my birds have ever had bands. I despise them

perri_fran

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Frank
It’s not plucking or moulting. It’s pretty normal for that area to be sparsely feathered. Your bird is also way too young to have any kind of plucking problem. It’s just barely past the baby stage.

What is more of a concern To me is what looks like a tight leg band. Leg bands are nothing but a safety hazard and should be removed.
Thank you so much for the info/advice I will get the band removed

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
@JLcribber Do you think the band is tight? My birds' one is about the same, I'm so scared of having it removed because my vet said they have had to use massive cutters to remove some. I cannot possibly risk putting my tiny bird under such a procedure. :depressed:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
@JLcribber Do you think the band is tight? My birds' one is about the same, I'm so scared of having it removed because my vet said they have had to use massive cutters to remove some. I cannot possibly risk putting my tiny bird under such a procedure. :depressed:
It’s a very simple procedure that any avian vet can perform in about 1 minute. Doesn’t sound like a very confident vet.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
It’s a very simple procedure that any avian vet can perform in about 1 minute. Doesn’t sound like a very confident vet.
They really put me off when they said they had to use heavy duty metal cutters on some. It that really the way to go? Perhaps I should make another thread for this as to not get OP's post all mixed up.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If the band is already kind of tight and your bird Injures its foot and your bird’s foot swells up for any reason, you now have a much bigger problem because the swelling will cause the band to cut off circulation. This is now an emergency situation and the band is now going to be a lot harder to get off.

Better to do it now.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Your bird seems to have a wee bit less feather covering on his little legs than my bird does but yes it is pretty normal for them to be fairly bare and lightly feathered on the legs. The band does not look so tight that it is currently a problem however I personally would have it removed...... one little leg injury and that band could become a big problem.
I had my birds band removed and it was no where near as bad as I thought the procedure was going to be. My bird had about the same amount of room as your bird has which is why I was so surprised at how much of an indentation his band had left on his little leg.