• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this play or something else?

Jillpug

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jill Pic
My 8 yr old male Goffin’s cockatoo (Puck) loves to find a down feather and put it on the tip of my nose or on my lips. He will then snatch it away and make a production of putting it on his wing, then place it back onto me. We play with the down feather for 20-30 minutes at a time. If it blows away he will chase it down so we can continue to play. Has anyone else had this experience with their bird?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm only guessing as I can't see the behavior, but it sounds like it may be courting.
It could be just play, but he's certainly at the age for hormones and breeding season has started.
Mine is about 25 and hormonal behavior is an everyday thing.

Can you get a video?
We will most likely be able to tell from is body language if this has a 'hidden' meaning. ;)
Is he hormonal now?

Mine doesn't do this, but loves to dig under blankets/clothing and will rub against me if given the chance.
It's a battle to play with a Too and not excite them at the same time.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
One of the birds at the rescue that I help with did this. I'm trying to remember which bird..... I'll send a note to someone about it. I don't remember what they thought about it......

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
One of the birds at the rescue that I help with did this. I'm trying to remember which bird..... I'll send a note to someone about it. I don't remember what they thought about it......
I heard back. It was another male goffin at the rescue that did this. He though was pulling out his feathers to do it. So for that reason, they tried to discourage it but would give him a piece of paper to play with instead. So, they thought he was just playing and allowed him to do it with the paper. They said they have seen videos of other goffins doing this too. So I guess it is a goffin thing? Although my goffin doesn't do it. Although I would be interested to see what @macawpower58 thinks if you could post a video.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
I know nothing about cockatoos, but I have to say that that sounds ADORABLE!! It's so sweet!!! But it probably is something hormonal *sigh*, so probably not great. But again - that is so cute!!!