• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this plant safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Yay! :) thank you!

M-Nature

Walking the driveway
Real Name
M-Nature
Wow, that's a beautiful Christmas, er Thanksgiving cactus! Just remember that the plant may be safe for your birds but your birds are not safe for the plant! I had to hide my Christmas cactus from my male red rump as he delighted in chewing it up. I managed to save a piece of it and it has recovered fairly well, but I am watching my plant vultures to make sure they don't attack the cactus again. :D

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Hehe thats not mine, just one i pulled off google. My mom just bought ours, so its still small. My grandmother has had one for as long as i can remember and its huge!! i love it.

I want a plant to put in my, er, Cookie`s room, and i really like them so will probably be getting another one now that i know it is safe. I dont think she`ll chew it - she has never chewed ANYTHING. she`s a strange bird :p

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
On this list it is listed as toxic
Holiday Plants - Poinsettia plants, Christmas cactus, Holly berries and Mistletoe berries are dangerous to birds. Poinsettia stems have a milky sap which irritates eyes and the digestive tract. Holly tree berries also irritiate the gastrointestinal tract. Mistletoe berries are toxic. from this link
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine Ezine- Holiday and Winter Hazards for Pet Parrots and Exotic Birds - Birds, Birds, Birds
I would rather be safe then sorry and keep the Fids away!

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
*sigh*

Darn - i was so excited! Oh, well.

Any other suggestions for bird safe plants i can get easilly and put in my room

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Spider plant! thats one i can get easilly!

GigQQgles

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Carla
Wow...the list I looked at said it was safe so I kept mine. I got rid of all the not safe plants before I got Skittles. Good thing is Skittles ignores that plant. He prefers the African Violets but I still do not let him near them.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
^^ thanks for the links! :) I will probably end up getting one sometime in the next few months. I want to buy one now but need all my money for christmas gifts! :)

Blazeybird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Houston
They are not overly expensive. You can usually get small ones at lowes for like $2 ;) I mean, they will be tiny, but hey, itll grow :D

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
^^ hehe, than I'll ask my mom to get me one! :p

Actually, one of my relatives has one i can probably steal one of those little ones off of and start my own :p

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Spider plants are GREAT for birds rooms and there are a lot of different types:
spider plants - Google Images
Spider Plant | Caring for Spider Plants | Plant-Care.com
:hug8:

Forgive me for laughing as I read this. I am in Houston (semi tropic) and I just stick them in the ground and they send out stringers etc and they spread. I have a whole bed of them and do nothing. Minimal watering even in the summer. Up North when I lived there, I loved these plants but I also could kill them. How things change.

Peggy

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
I have christmas cactus....my birds have nibbled on them or eaten the flowers, they have never had a problem. I don't encourage it, but it happens once in a while. I don't think it is really poisonous.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
My mom used to have a spider plant.. it died.. she's not very good at keeping plants going.. LOL! I'm hoping i will be better...

Now i don't know what to do! I really want a christmas cactus, i love them, everytime i see my grandmothers huge one i say i want one, but i want a plant for my room, which is essentially Cookie's room and where she spends most of her time free flying around. I guess i am going to have to go with the Spider plant, then.. Better safe than sorry.. *sigh*

Maybe I'll get a spider plant and watch her around it - if enough time goes by and she ignores it i'll get a christmas cactus. It seems alot of you have had them with no problems.. Cookie never chews anything or gets into anything, anyways. She hasn't touched anything she wasn't supposed to in the whole year I've had her!

Blazeybird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Houston
We grow them here outdoors as well. They become dormant in the winter, but in the spring they spring back all lively and bigger LOL
Forgive me for laughing as I read this. I am in Houston (semi tropic) and I just stick them in the ground and they send out stringers etc and they spread. I have a whole bed of them and do nothing. Minimal watering even in the summer. Up North when I lived there, I loved these plants but I also could kill them. How things change.

Peggy

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
My mom used to have a spider plant.. it died.. she's not very good at keeping plants going.. LOL! I'm hoping i will be better...

Now i don't know what to do! I really want a christmas cactus, i love them, everytime i see my grandmothers huge one i say i want one, but i want a plant for my room, which is essentially Cookie's room and where she spends most of her time free flying around. I guess i am going to have to go with the Spider plant, then.. Better safe than sorry.. *sigh*

Maybe I'll get a spider plant and watch her around it - if enough time goes by and she ignores it i'll get a christmas cactus. It seems alot of you have had them with no problems.. Cookie never chews anything or gets into anything, anyways. She hasn't touched anything she wasn't supposed to in the whole year I've had her!

Spider plants help clean the oxygen you breath :D

your mom isn't alone - my mom literally can kill something un-killable which would be cactus's :hehe:

she even had a plant commit suicide once in their bathroom there is a "stand" built around the back of the tub, it is more like a small wall made out of paneling to match the walls and wood They added it to have places to put things like the shampoo bottles and such After they remolded the bathroom and got a real medicine cabinet (one you could sit things on top) she had a lovely plant - can't recall what it was- but she was cleaning, sat it on that "stand/shelf" thing on the bathtub - we've had many things sit there, some odd shaped she went out to the living room to take a break and 5 mins later we heard a crash from the bathroom at the time we had no inside pets... ran in and there was the plant - pot and all busted in the tub

i started laughing my behind off, and said Look mom you can even kill plants and not be in the same room with them :rofl: it was just a few days before that she realized she killed her mini cactus's plants LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.