• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this plant safe for my budgie?

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Recently my mom just received this massive plant that my bird is having loads of fun in, but I keep him away from it due to my concerns on him chewing on it being toxic. I want my bird to have some fun in the plant to stay active, but me and her don't even know what species the plant is.
We just got it from a family friend who had their mother pass away and had a greenhouse, and my mom and I are getting into gardening, especially indoor. So any greenthumbs out there willing to help me out identify what type of plant this is?

(Sorry for the low image res, my phone broke and I only have my camera on my laptop to screenshot stuff)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I can't figure out what the leafy plant in the first pic is.
the 2nd and third pics show a snake plant with the yellow edges to the long leaves.
Those ARE toxic to animals if eaten. Soapy sap makes ill and vomit.

If you are just getting interested in indoor plants be very careful NOT to get Dieffenbachia aka dumb cane.
Those contain sharp oxalate crystals that cause mouth, etc swelling if eaten.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
The mother in law tongues which I think I’m seeing (hard to say at that resolution) is toxic to all pets.

it’s in a dangerous location. Get it away from the cage.

Serin

It's a mixed planting of ZZ plant and snake plant (mother in law's tongue is an alternatr name), both of which aren't good to chew on.
The plant also needs a lot more sunlight to survive long term and should be right nearby a window, ideally east, south or west.

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
It's a mixed planting of ZZ plant and snake plant (mother in law's tongue is an alternatr name), both of which aren't good to chew on.
The plant also needs a lot more sunlight to survive long term and should be right nearby a window, ideally east, south or west.
My bird has chewed on this plant before! Should I take him to a vet immiedietly?

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
I can't figure out what the leafy plant in the first pic is.
the 2nd and third pics show a snake plant with the yellow edges to the long leaves.
Those ARE toxic to animals if eaten. Soapy sap makes ill and vomit.

If you are just getting interested in indoor plants be very careful NOT to get Dieffenbachia aka dumb cane.
Those contain sharp oxalate crystals that cause mouth, etc swelling if eaten.
The mother in law tongues which I think I’m seeing (hard to say at that resolution) is toxic to all pets.

it’s in a dangerous location. Get it away from the cage.
I just read on this website List of Safe Plants for Your Bird. that it's safe for birds? Is this true or no? Many other sources say that it's safe for birds

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
I’ve never considered snake plants safe for any animal. Casual contact toxicity is unusual in birds but in sufficient quantities it can cause GI upset.

ZZ plant is in the philodendron family and is very toxic to everything including humans.

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
My bird has chewed on this plant before! Should I take him to a vet immiedietly?
How long ago did he nibble on it? Was it the MIL or the ZZ plant? I’m not disputing anyone’s description, but I can’t tell from the photo of that is ZZ or another philodendron cousin or something else. Maybe get positive ID on the plants. But keep the bird out of it. Even the potting soils can have toxins in it.

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
How long ago did he nibble on it? Was it the MIL or the ZZ plant? I’m not disputing anyone’s description, but I can’t tell from the photo of that is ZZ or another philodendron cousin or something else. Maybe get positive ID on the plants. But keep the bird out of it. Even the potting soils can have toxins in it.
I had a neighbour who works at a plant store (greenhouse idk what to call it) and he confirmed it was a snake plant (mother in law's tongue)

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
I had a neighbour who works at a plant store (greenhouse idk what to call it) and he confirmed it was a snake plant (mother in law's tongue)
I’m asking about the other plant.

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
Also, you will note that some lists will have plants listed as both safe and toxic either because certain parts are safe or because in tiny amounts it isn’t likely to produce sufficient toxin to do damage.

Algaes are perfect examples of this. There is an entire industry producing algae supplements for birds that are scary high in known toxins. I stay away from them personally but others feed them with no issues. I have horses and rabbits and many don’t know that if a horse eats red maple leaves they can die from them. It doesn’t happen often because they don’t generally eanough but in drought or low forage conditions it happens.

I avoid plants with birds because of increased risk of poisoning and the possibility of aspergillous from the soil.

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Also, you will note that some lists will have plants listed as both safe and toxic either because certain parts are safe or because in tiny amounts it isn’t likely to produce sufficient toxin to do damage.

Algaes are perfect examples of this. There is an entire industry producing algae supplements for birds that are scary high in known toxins. I stay away from them personally but others feed them with no issues. I have horses and rabbits and many don’t know that if a horse eats red maple leaves they can die from them. It doesn’t happen often because they don’t generally eanough but in drought or low forage conditions it happens.

I avoid plants with birds because of increased risk of poisoning and the possibility of aspergillous from the soil.