• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this normal

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Cockatoo poop. I was just cleaning her cage and she pooped. I thought it was dry and picked it up if you're wondering why it looks weird.
I ask because the last few days there's been a pungent vinaigrette smell coming from her cage. I picked up her poop to smell it and apart from Dolly looking at me strangely, it's not smelly.
I cleaned her cage and Frankie's cages on Sunday and there is no smell from his.
I can't use vinegar to clean their cages as the smell of it makes hubby gag. He hates the smell.
If it was her poop, I believe it would be a bacterial infection but it's not that. Would a sudden change in her diet cause her poop to smell?
I am cleaning her cage again now.
All her toys are soaking and her blankets and hut are in the washing machine.
She's earing and drinking fine and she herself doesn't smell.
She keeps looking at me strange because I'm smelling everything, but I don't want anything bad happening. Her vet visit is on Sept 6th.

Attachments

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Looks pretty normal . The urates the white creamy parts - not much in this poop and a little stringy. Possibly just more of a fecal poop.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There can be a bacterial infection without a smell. The webby urates I've heard can be a sign.

However...I know it's hard but don't freak out about one poop. Check her poops carefully for the next 24 hours and see how they look. :)

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I will monitor her poops closely today.
She had been eating quite a few carrots and greens Also I have been putting red palm oil in her food the past few days. Other than her fruit pellets and some seed she gets apples and blueberries (which she loves).
I cut back on oranges although maybe I shouldn't? They do have vitamins in them so hopefully I'm not deprving her of vitamin supplements.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It only looks a bit dry-ish to me. But since I don't have a Maccaw, I have no comparison to make except my own boys.

I know it's hard but don't freak out about one poop.
I resemble that remark! :laughin:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I will monitor her poops closely today.
She had been eating quite a few carrots and greens Also I have been putting red palm oil in her food the past few days. Other than her fruit pellets and some seed she gets apples and blueberries (which she loves).
I cut back on oranges although maybe I shouldn't? They do have vitamins in them so hopefully I'm not deprving her of vitamin supplements.
Be very careful with red palm oil ..overdose of vitamin A is very real. I was just discussing red palm oil with my veterinarian the other day. She has just seen 2 cases of hypervitaminoiss A from palm oil. Inflamed liver.

She recommended sweet potatoes be fed if trying to increase vitamin A.
I'm not a big fan of citrus fruit to parrots but I don't have my documentation at finger tips .
Leafy greens and vegetables would be a better choice. Or if you felt had to be fruit, mango would be better

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Be very careful with red palm oil ..overdose of vitamin A is very real. I was just discussing red palm oil with my veterinarian the other day. She has just seen 2 cases of hypervitaminoiss A from palm oil. Inflamed liver.

She recommended sweet potatoes be fed if trying to increase vitamin A.
I'm not a big fan of citrus fruit to parrots but I don't have my documentation at finger tips .
Leafy greens and vegetables would be a better choice. Or if you felt had to be fruit, mango would be better
My understanding is that Palm Oil doesn't contain Vitamin A, but rather beta carotene, which is what the body converts into Vitamin A. Excessive ingestion of carotene causes carotenemia, where the skin turns yellow, not vitamin A toxicity.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I have regular palm oil and red palm oil, which I have given her just once. She does get alot of veggies including leafy greens, green beans, peas as well as mash and carrots. I tried her with cucumber and celery but no luck. I have started giving her beans which she isn't too keen on but will eat a couple.
Fruits are grapes blueberries apples and banana and oranges. Between her and Frankie they get 2 fruits a day.
I can't expect her to change her whole diet overnight but when introduced to new foods, she will usually at least try it whereas Frankie will chuck it if he doesn't recognize it as one he likes or he doesn't like the texture of it.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
My understanding is that Palm Oil doesn't contain Vitamin A, but rather beta carotene, which is what the body converts into Vitamin A. Excessive ingestion of carotene causes carotenemia, where the skin turns yellow, not vitamin A toxicity.
I believe contains both..this article says both.

I have not used it, but was thinking of using it. So had the discussion with my avian veterinarian, who shared her concerns and told me of these 2 cases. All doctors can have different experiences.. she said their isn't documentation in literature yet. But expects with increase in popularity there will be..

My veterinarian advice to me was to stick with sweet potatoes. Other veterinarians may have different advice. She said there is a very fine line between needing more vitamin A in diets and overdosed. Is fat soluble

I've read all the great stuff about red palm oil too...so I was interested in trying it out .

Dunno ? But I'm going to follow my trusted veterinarians advice

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I have regular palm oil and red palm oil, which I have given her just once. She does get alot of veggies including leafy greens, green beans, peas as well as mash and carrots. I tried her with cucumber and celery but no luck. I have started giving her beans which she isn't too keen on but will eat a couple.
Fruits are grapes blueberries apples and banana and oranges. Between her and Frankie they get 2 fruits a day.
I can't expect her to change her whole diet overnight but when introduced to new foods, she will usually at least try it whereas Frankie will chuck it if he doesn't recognize it as one he likes or he doesn't like the texture of it.
Sounds like you are doing great .

How does poop look Today?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I believe contains both..this article says both.

I have not used it, but was thinking of using it. So had the discussion with my avian veterinarian, who shared her concerns and told me of these 2 cases. All doctors can have different experiences.. she said their isn't documentation in literature yet. But expects with increase in popularity there will be..

My veterinarian advice to me was to stick with sweet potatoes. Other veterinarians may have different advice. She said there is a very fine line between needing more vitamin A in diets and overdosed. Is fat soluble

I've read all the great stuff about red palm oil too...so I was interested in trying it out .

Dunno ? But I'm going to follow my trusted veterinarians advice
I'm definitely not saying don't listen to your vet. I do not use red palm oil regularly. I'm trying to figure out how a Vitamin A overdose can happen with a food that only contains Vitamin A precursors. That article actually says the same thing I did.

"Vitamin A occurs naturally in animal products.... Vegetarians obtain their required vitamin A from carotenoids, which are found in plants, especially orange, green, and yellow vegetables and some fruits. Red palm oil is considered one of the world’s richest natural plant sources of carotenoids, which give the oil and fruit their brilliant orange-red color."

"Red palm oil contains 15 times more retinol (provitamin A) equivalents than carrots, 300 times more than tomatoes, and 44 times more than leafy vegetables."

So it doesn't contain Vitamin A directly, but it contains a lot of carotenoids. Now, the article does state that fats help the body absorb more carotenoids and Vitamin A, so it is possible that the increased fat from the oil makes the bird absorb more A and carotenoids from all sources, which it does say is stored in the liver.

I'll be interested in learning more as we have more information!

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Sounds like you are doing great .

How does poop look Today?
It's the same as yesterday but as the day wore on it was thinner, probably because she drank alot of water.
Frankie has always been a good veggie eater since I have had him so it's just getting Dolly off her previous diet of all seeds. She is doing great.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I'm definitely not saying don't listen to your vet. I do not use red palm oil regularly. I'm trying to figure out how a Vitamin A overdose can happen with a food that only contains Vitamin A precursors. That article actually says the same thing I did.

"Vitamin A occurs naturally in animal products.... Vegetarians obtain their required vitamin A from carotenoids, which are found in plants, especially orange, green, and yellow vegetables and some fruits. Red palm oil is considered one of the world’s richest natural plant sources of carotenoids, which give the oil and fruit their brilliant orange-red color."

"Red palm oil contains 15 times more retinol (provitamin A) equivalents than carrots, 300 times more than tomatoes, and 44 times more than leafy vegetables."

So it doesn't contain Vitamin A directly, but it contains a lot of carotenoids. Now, the article does state that fats help the body absorb more carotenoids and Vitamin A, so it is possible that the increased fat from the oil makes the bird absorb more A and carotenoids from all sources, which it does say is stored in the liver.

I will have to read more closely.
I read this.
" Mutagenic, nutritional, and toxicological studies have shown that red palm oil contains highly bioavailable β-carotene and vitamin A and is reasonably stable to heat without any adverse effects."

Maybe I misinterpreted that? Mmm
Definitely will dig deeper ( always interning to read/research a topic more),

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura

I see much literature that agrees with you.
But I noted this sentence in the linked article , stating
" Provitamin A (beta-carotene and other carotenoids), found in plants such as green leafy vegetables, sweet potatoes, and carrots, must be metabolized to vitamin A. As a result, it is less likely to cause toxicity."
( less likely...leaves room for possible??) Red palm is reported to have some of the highest bio available......im left unsure on this topic
And sorry for the tangent ( but I found interesting)

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
It's the same as yesterday but as the day wore on it was thinner, probably because she drank alot of water.
Frankie has always been a good veggie eater since I have had him so it's just getting Dolly off her previous diet of all seeds. She is doing great.
A poop article

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Thanks @Pixiebeak I googled it a few days ago and had results.
That is the reason for my concern.
She goes to the vets on Sept 6th so already monitoring it per @Mizzely 's advice. If it gets concerning I will aee if the vet can squeeze me in next Tuesday. Tuesdays are the only day an avian vet comes near where I live.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Hopefully all will be well. Your poop pic fecal matter was shaped and a nice amount. Lacked creamy urates but if that was only one like that?

Hows weight?

Anyway good luck at vet!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Only us bird people inspect poo.....