• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this normal?

Charlesgcc

Checking out the neighborhood
My conure has this weird feather and he’s acting like he’s sore. I can’t tell what it is? Should I take him to a vet? image.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
From here it looks like the feather base is still inside the keratin sheath and that it still has bloodflow, which means it is still developing. They can be tender in this stage.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That is the preening gland I think you’ll find

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh yeah that might be it too :lol: :headsmack:
That is the only thing I can see in the pic that might cause some interest/concern as many people have no clue what it is when they first find it because it is not usually seen my many bird owners. I only mentioned it as nothing else in the pic stands out to me.

Lucas2019

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maria
My conure has this weird feather and he’s acting like he’s sore. I can’t tell what it is? Should I take him to a vet? View attachment 395296
Yes thats the preening gland be careful, my conure has it too. Just keep an eye on it but I believe that is totally normal since they always touched when they clean themselves

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Definitely looks to be the preen gland it does seem a little red to my eyes. If he’s acting sore about it maybe it’s impacted? When it doubt best to go to the vet if only for peace of mind. I hope everything is ok with your little one.

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
So . . . What do you mean by "he’s acting like he’s sore"?

I'd expect him to be rubbing or gently chewing on it when he preens, which is just fine -- he'll collect oil on his beak from there to preen the rest of his feathers -- but if it's something more than that . . . then it sounds like you already know a visit to the vet is in order (just to be sure ;) ).