• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this normal for baby lovebirds?

Mohdan99

Moving in
Hello everyone.

I got myself a baby Lovebird which looked healthy and acted healthy but I faced 2 issues which I hope are simple problems that can be fixed easily.

The first issue is when I got my baby Lovebird which was 3 weeks old or a bit more (Given by the owner) everytime I start feeding him he will eat 1 to 3ml formula then backs off and doesn't accept more no matter how much I try. Some people suggested to force feed him carefully which I don't like but did for the sake of the lovebird. However he is now 4 weeks old+ (I will post pictures) and still refusing the syringe he will seem excited and will approach the syringe just to eat 1 to 3ml and then will resist eating more and backs off from it.

The second thing that worries me is his sleep. He sleeps like 99% of the day. I rarely see him awake for more that 10 seconds and sometimes when the bird is asleep he cleans his feathers and self but with his eyes closed. He moves in his enclosure with his eyes closed also.

I'm not new to hand raising birds I have raised a dozen of cockatiels and ringneck parrots. My country have vets but they are all not experienced with birds. I created an account just to this discuss for the sake of my bird. Thanks to whoever is welling to help and inform me here.
PSX_20200804_075253.jpg PSX_20200804_075025.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Marino

Strolling the yard
I don't think that is normal, no. I recently got a bird of about the same age (maybe a bit younger), and he was very active and alert. He would sleep for much of the day, but would definitely spend hours at a time awake, walking around (or trying to). Also, being active with eyes closed is a sign of sickness.

I wouldn't advise force feeding. Is the formula the correct temperature? If it's too cold my bird wouldn't go near it. Make sure its 40-41 degrees (celsius) but definitely no hotter.

Otherwise I'd say frequent feedings of a smaller amount. I would definitely take the bird to the vet though. The tiredness and the eyes do not sound normal at all. I'm sure Zara will give you more informed advice!

Also, is he being kept warm enough?

Mohdan99

Moving in
I don't think that is normal, no. I recently got a bird of about the same age (maybe a bit younger), and he was very active and alert. He would sleep for much of the day, but would definitely spend hours at a time awake, walking around (or trying to). Also, being active with eyes closed is a sign of sickness.

I wouldn't advise force feeding. Is the formula the correct temperature? If it's too cold my bird wouldn't go near it. Make sure its 40-41 degrees (celsius) but definitely no hotter.

Otherwise I'd say frequent feedings of a smaller amount. I would definitely take the bird to the vet though. The tiredness and the eyes do not sound normal at all. I'm sure Zara will give you more informed advice!

Also, is he being kept warm enough?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I always keep the formula temp at 40 to 41 degrees Celsius. Today he accepted to eat 5ml of formula and the bird is a bit more active especially when he hears me preparing the formula. But I still don't know about his sleeping/eyes closed habit. I know that sometimes this is a sign of weakness and I'm trying my best to search for a vet who knows how to deal with birds. I thought that maybe he is older than the owner thought so, I placed some millets near him but he didn't care. Room temperature between 27 to 33 Celsius since the bird emerald has most of his feathers.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello, welcome to the Avenue :)

For your bird to be so sleepy and walking with his eyes closed is a big problem. Not normal at all. At this age, getting super sleepy after a feeding , or random naps through the day is normal, but he should have bouts of energy when he wakes as Marino said, and be exploring/walking around looking and beaking stuff.

I thought that maybe he is older than the owner thought so
Correct. He is at least 5 weeks old.
Still should be actively eating formula, exploring etc.

It could be that this bird has an illness or disease. You say you breed birds? Do you have other birds in your home? Is this little one separated (quarantined?)? I would definitely keep him away from any other birds until you can find a vet and run some tests.

How often are you feeding this bird? Should be 2 or 3 feeds per day, and given 10% of his body weight each time.
If he is not getting enough food, he could be malnourished, and that could be the cause for lack of activity/excessive sleeping.

Another thing, at this age, he should have a bowl of seeds and a water bowl available to him.
I placed some millets near him but he didn't care.
On the sprig (spray?)? Try giving him that (cut a few inch chunk off) after the formula feed, snuggle him onto your chest and hold the millet next to him, see if that helps.
If this is loose seed, put a pinch on a table and see if he goes for it, but I think you will have better luck with the sprigs.

Mohdan99

Moving in
Hello, welcome to the Avenue :)

For your bird to be so sleepy and walking with his eyes closed is a big problem. Not normal at all. At this age, getting super sleepy after a feeding , or random naps through the day is normal, but he should have bouts of energy when he wakes as Marino said, and be exploring/walking around looking and beaking stuff.

Correct. He is at least 5 weeks old.
Still should be actively eating formula, exploring etc.

It could be that this bird has an illness or disease. You say you breed birds? Do you have other birds in your home? Is this little one separated (quarantined?)? I would definitely keep him away from any other birds until you can find a vet and run some tests.

How often are you feeding this bird? Should be 2 or 3 feeds per day, and given 10% of his body weight each time.
If he is not getting enough food, he could be malnourished, and that could be the cause for lack of activity/excessive sleeping.

Another thing, at this age, he should have a bowl of seeds and a water bowl available to him.

On the sprig (spray?)? Try giving him that (cut a few inch chunk off) after the formula feed, snuggle him onto your chest and hold the millet next to him, see if that helps.
If this is loose seed, put a pinch on a table and see if he goes for it, but I think you will have better luck with the sprigs.
Thank you so much for your reply.

He can open his eyes wide with no problem if he hears me but, just 5 seconds later he will
try to sleep. I feed him 4 times a day and sometimes more but lower amounts if he rejects more than 3ml of formula. I don't breed birds I just rescue them or raise them and keep them. My lovebird is alone with me in the room. He completely ignores his bowl of seeds and water in the enclosure. I tried giving him corn he tasted one and that's it. Today he ate 5 to 6ml of formula with no problem he didn't reject. So today is good. what bothers me the most is his more than normal sleep.

should I attach a picture of his dropping since they can indicate if there is any problems?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That´s great he ate the 6 ml.
I would say to only feed him morning noon and night, but if he is not eating any other foods, you can´t remove the 4th feeding.
Also, As chicks get older, sometimes they will pull back after eating, but if you offer again they may take it.
Are you recording weight in a dairy? It would be very helpful.
If your bird loses weight, or keep rejecting food, and doesn´t accept adult foods he will need to be gavage fed. Never force feed with a syringe.
If you don´t know how to gavage feed, see if there´s a local breeder or enthusiast who could show you how.

I would strongly urge a vet visit to check the little one over. Something is not quite right.

Mohdan99

Moving in
That´s great he ate the 6 ml.
I would say to only feed him morning noon and night, but if he is not eating any other foods, you can´t remove the 4th feeding.
Also, As chicks get older, sometimes they will pull back after eating, but if you offer again they may take it.
Are you recording weight in a dairy? It would be very helpful.
If your bird loses weight, or keep rejecting food, and doesn´t accept adult foods he will need to be gavage fed. Never force feed with a syringe.
If you don´t know how to gavage feed, see if there´s a local breeder or enthusiast who could show you how.

I would strongly urge a vet visit to check the little one over. Something is not quite right.
Update:

I finally found a vet which is familiar with birds. He said that his sleepiness is sort of a weakness. He gave me a medicine to mix with his formula for 14 days. Ill make sure to update in the future.

Thank you so much for advising me.

Mohdan99

Moving in
I have just noticed this after feeding him. Is it normal? He slept after feeding so I petted him and moved his feathers a bit. His leftside has one too but its a little bit smaller... I'm really getting frustrated at this point :( @Zara

IMG_20200804_210525~(1).jpg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Try not to get frustrated. It is always good to try be as calm as possible around birds.

He is ok. That is the formula in the crop you are seeing. The skin is so thin there you can see through it. When the food starts digesting from the crop it will ¨go away¨

Be sure he is kept warm while he is wet (I´m assuming from formula clean-up) until he dries :)

Marino

Strolling the yard
I have just noticed this after feeding him. Is it normal? He slept after feeding so I petted him and moved his feathers a bit. His leftside has one too but its a little bit smaller... I'm really getting frustrated at this point :( @Zara

View attachment 348635
The crop looks scary doesn't it! Like a horrible little tumour or something. It's actually a great sign, it means he has a full belly! Only concern yourself with it if it is still there in the morning. If the crop doesn't empty then the food can rot and cause all sorts of problems. You obviously hadn't seen it before because he wasn't eating, so it now being visible is great!

I wouldn't worry too much about reluctance to feed, especially if he wasn't handfed by the previous owner. When I first got Marino he wouldn't take full feeds for a while either. Mostly around the 4ml-6ml mark. He got the hang of it eventually but it did take a few days. The tiredness is the concern, so hopefully whatever the vet has given you will pep him up!

Mohdan99

Moving in
Good news!

He always accepts 6ml now and after that he eats some millets and budgie seeds!

He is not interested in his small water bowl or any fruit/vegetables yet but I won't stop trying after he gets older.

However, I won't judge on his sleepiness but it improved for sure. I'm still waiting until he completes the medicine schedule.

Thank you very much @Zara @Marino you guys helped me a great portion moving through this.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m sure getting nutrition into him is helping heaps!
Great update!! :hug9:

Reactions: Ali

Mohdan99

Moving in
I´m sure getting nutrition into him is helping heaps!
Great update!! :hug9:

The Bird was amazing for a couple of days...

But today morning (its 9am in my country) he vomited the formula and after an hour or more he gave me the food cry so I prepared some for him. He refused the formula even thought he is hungry and his crop is small. :( He ate a couple of millets.

Sorry for suddenly giving this kind of news. all my experience with handfeeding and I haven't experienced something like this

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Maybe he is not feeling well. If there are any other issues you might consult with a vet. Sometimes you just have to keep trying a few minutes later if they won't eat right then. Sometimes if they are sleepy they won't eat. Also make sure the formula is the correct temp. If it cools to much they may reject it. I hope he gets well.

Mohdan99

Moving in
Hello!

Sorry for not updating for a while. After searching left and right and every corner I've found a guy who is very very experienced with birds and very kind (He is also a volunteer in animal rescue) He took the baby for a few days and sent me a video days ago to show me the baby's health which was very positive.

The cause of all of this was a crop infection. I don't know how my baby got infected because I was very careful with temperature and environment but things happen I guess.

He is fully weaned now, he is in a different cage which is a bit bigger and eats seeds from my hand when I offer him some, he still refuses some fruits like bananas but I'm sure it will work out overtime.

Thank you all for the help guys.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wonderful update! I´m glad you found someone to physically help you :)