• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this normal behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big.Green.Chicken

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
Kerbear won't let me touch her body unless I am picking her up. She will step up on her basket, but nothing else. No basket, you must pick her up with your hands. Perches, arms, towel covered arm, are all treated with panic.

She is right now in her swing, rubbing her head against a toy and making this high pitched cry. I know she is asking it to preen her, this is classic scratch me behavior. She won't let ME scratch her though. She only begs affection from toys. Is this normal? She insists I pick up her body and curls into my tummy. Why is she so scared of touching anywhere around her head??

M

M.C Bird Rescue

HMMM...I am wondering if you COULD actually touch her. What happens if you try? How do approach her? From above? Side? Do you ask her if she wants scritches?

With Lola who was completely hands off I taught her first scritches through the cage bars..that way if she went to nail me, I could move my hand back in time.
I would bend my finger playfully and say..Scritches, and touch somewhere through the cage bars, give a treat. I kept this up until she had her head pushed against the cage bars and I was allowed to scratch her head. give a treat.

When I approach a bird to scratch their heads, I always let them SEE what I am doing, move slowly, and ask first. If allowed for a second, give a treat

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
That just needs more time and for her to feel more secure. Many birds are very fearful of hands. I have a tiel that will draw blood he bites sooo hard if you approach him with your hands so I have to use a perch or he will calm down and let you scritch his head once toweled. He will occassional let you use your hand for scritches but panics so it's going to take a looong time to work through that with him. He DOES want you to preen his head/neck...but just with your face/chin, NO HANDS. He will beg and beg and makes kissy noises for you to come over to him and put your face down next to him so he can get some loving. Some birds are just that way towards hands. Who know what could have been in their past that made them that way (lack of contact/abuse)

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
What happens if you try?
The same thing that happens if you offer her anything coming from above towards her face. She screams in terror, flops away, cowers and literally shakes.

Who know what could have been in their past that made them that way (lack of contact/abuse)
I originally thought from how she acted that she might have been abused. She acted like someone had hit her face or struck down at her head.

I am not sure I think that anymore. She wouldn't be so comfortable and letting me touch her body so soon if she had been abused, right?

Her band has FL-09 on it which we were told meant her breeder was from Florida and she was born in 2009. Are young birds just more timid?

She seems so normal most of the time. We have changed our behavior so we don't do things that frighten her. Are we only encouraging her behavior by doing that? Am I just expecting too much?

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I would say you may be expecting too much from her yet. But , I also encourage you to continue to come towards her with treats, and be a good guy. Let her make the choice to allow you to pet her, and do not push her. She will come around in time when she is ready.
It took Lola 3 months to come around, and I have rehabbed many many birds. 3 Months is only a fraction in their life span. I said I would wait years if I had to, we still work on our relationship everyday. I know, in time she will trust me and become my friend in feathers.
I do suggest if she is flopping and screaming to just not do what you are doing when she does that. that is all fear.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Her band has FL-09 on it which we were told meant her breeder was from Florida and she was born in 2009. Are young birds just more timid?
I knew she was just a baby, I am wanting to say she's probably around 8 months or so. She's just being a baby. Mealy's generally act shy somewhat. You just need to take it slow and ge to know each other.

Mealy's form a strong bond to their owners, give her time she's going nowhere. :heart:

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Sam Mealy loved to step up from the moment I got her, but she too was not too keen on being touched on the head. Be patient, and let her see that hands are friendly and bring good things. When I would give her treats (her favorite being an unshelled almond) I would stick a finger out and touch a bit of her head or neck.

Now, she just bows her head and DEMANDS for me to scratch it. She allows me to lift her wings, and touch her body. It's a matter of trust, and it takes time, but it will come.

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
time time time - you have a lifetime together, right?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
She is a baby and in a new environment. Time is on your side and that is all you need. I never approach my guys from above their heads (unless they put their heads down for scritches). I approach them from the front with my arm (or perch) lower than their feet, slowly moving my arm up to their feet and asking them to step up. This way they can see everything that I am doing and aren't surprised. Pretty soon she'll be begging you for scritches.

Status
Not open for further replies.