• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this mites?!

Millymb23

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Milly
I have noticed my parrolet has been overly preening himself a lot lately. I thought it was molting but I went to Google and seen about mites and now I'm very scared. Here is a close up around is nose. I don't know if it always looked that way, cause I never fully examined it before until now. I have tried shining a flash light on bottom of his cage and didn't see anything. I tried to check around his face and feathers but I don't want to blind him.

Attachments

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
When in doubt a vet check is a fine idea. However keep in mind that preening means many things.

Parrots, and really any social bird, sometimes preen as a gesture of friendliness or non aggression. They want to make a statement like hey, no worries I am just preening. If you see what seems like extreme preening it could be that you are excited about you new bird, maybe looking at your bird a lot, and the bird is trying to make a point that everything is chill. (It is called an appeasement gesture.) :)

If I were you I would consider how you are acting around the bird. Try and take a step back and just relax. Maybe even pretend preen your own hair to gesture back to you bird that yes, all is peaceful.

If you do think it is mites a vet is a good place to start. Parrotlets are fragile and small and you need to ensure the proper doses are administered, etc.

I hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Millymb23

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Milly
When in doubt a vet check is a fine idea. However keep in mind that preening means many things.

Parrots, and really any social bird, sometimes preen as a gesture of friendliness or non aggression. They want to make a statement like hey, no worries I am just preening. If you see what seems like extreme preening it could be that you are excited about you new bird, maybe looking at your bird a lot, and the bird is trying to make a point that everything is chill. (It is called an appeasement gesture.) :)

If I were you I would consider how you are acting around the bird. Try and take a step back and just relax. Maybe even pretend preen your own hair to gesture back to you bird that yes, all is peaceful.

If you do think it is mites a vet is a good place to start. Parrotlets are fragile and small and you need to ensure the proper doses are administered, etc.

I hope this helps :)
Thank you so much!