• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is This How They Are?

beaglegod.

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Paul
Brought home a beautiful 4 month old male last week. He eats like a champ, I give a bowl of chop every morning and evening made of about 20 different fruits and vegetables plus I hang a fruit and veggie kabob in his cage and he daily rips through that. Eat, poop, eat poop, eat poop, sleep and repeat.......that's it...he doesn't really do anything. Just sits there waiting for his next meal, no sounds, no playing.....no fun. He'll step up and allow some scritches now and than, he'll allow me to transport him to his living room java wood perch , with toys and nothing happens he just sits there, offer him food he'll eat it and than it's back to sitting and staring.

Is this how it is or do they open up a little ?
Are babies simply very different from adults or do they pretty much show you early on what they will be like?
I'm so used to the bubbly outgoing personalities of Conures , Caiques and Love Birds this is quite different.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Basil was pretty much like this for the first bits, he'd either be on his cage or on one of us no in between. He's also probably nervous especially if you just got him. Basil is such a character now and much more independent. Give it time!

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I think he's just settling in. They are very quiet and well behaved when they first arrive. Wait until he gets comfortable. My experience is the more well behaved to begin with the more crazy when they come out of the shell.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Awwww, you've only had him for a week. It's hard for a baby to lose the home and flock he's known all his life and move into a completely different world all on his own. Give him time to get used to everything and build up some confidence. When he's a bit more outgoing, perhaps gently introduce him to some small toys, like a piece of balsa wood or woven palm and gradually encourage/teach him how to play.