• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is This GCC SF Misty???

Is this bird SF Misty?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Radford Roost

Moving in
Real Name
Levi Radford
Hello! I recently got a new green cheek conure (up to four now!). I was told he is a turquoise SF Misty. I can definitely see the turquoise, but can't find enough info about the misty mutation online to verify it. In fact, I am doubting it. Does this GCC look like it is Single Factor Misty?
I am intrigued by the fact that his back has green at the top and fades to blue at tbe bottom also.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Goodness knows that I don't know anything about mutations...I just want to say he's a handsome guy...;)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I've not heard of the misty mutation. Something cheeky has a jade but those feathers look the off coloring that they can have with health issues so I'd never have guessed it. But splitting mutations for multiple generations does do different things to coloring. Boober has light streaks of blue on his head.

@Monica

Oh now their Jade misty is very pretty...but so far only the greens? Green-cheek Conure Mutations — Queenslander Aviaries

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Jade and Misty are just two names for the same mutation... much like the yellowsided mutation is actually an opaline.

Turquoise is a par-blue mutation. This means that the bird still retains some yellow/orange/red coloration's. In the case of green cheeks, they still have a faint touch of green in the back feathers or cheek area, and possibly even yellow/pink in the stomach area.

From my understanding, the best way to tell a SF Misty is, well, a Misty mutation, is to take a picture of the bird with flash. This allows the mutation to better show through.

Radford Roost

Moving in
Real Name
Levi Radford
Any opinions? I cannot find a single picture online of a turquoise misty :/

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Looks misty to me.

@Kodigirl210 can you share a picture with flash for comparison for Radford Roost?

Radford Roost

Moving in
Real Name
Levi Radford
Awesome! I hope more information and pictures regarding the misty/jade mutation become published online. I can hardly seem to find anything!

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Here’s a pic of her from the front & the behind & yes completely untouched except for cropping it a little :)
F62B41C8-C7BE-4687-ACF6-5C26CA0343EB.jpeg AB19E59E-8D97-4F3E-8685-25522F6BA50D.jpeg

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
I think it might actually be a misty. I went on this site and it said it was. I'm not sure though, I could be wrong.

Radford Roost

Moving in
Real Name
Levi Radford
Thank you a ton! I can definitely see the differences between them. The lady I got him from described his living environment (large enclosure, lots of enrichment, nutritious diet) but he seems to have the feather discoloration associated with stress, so I assume it is because the misty mutation?

Kodigirl210

How old is your Conure? He may not have gone through his adult molt yet. Mine is still a baby so these are her first set of feathers. We have a long while yet before she molts.

And color me cynical, but unless I can see for myself what someone’s set up is-I don’t trust anyone anymore. It’s pretty bad lying when your dealing with dogs and cats-it gets downright ludicrous with birds. It’s like they want to make up the most fab place ever and then you start checking up and their spacious pen turns out to be an old chicken coop. Not saying that all are like that at all-just saying that I require verifiable proof. With Pippin and Isen their entire chickhood was posted on FB and I’ve been to the breeders house a few times. Sif, my CAG, same story except more local tg as I went to see her every weekend once she was pulled and got to see her parents. :)

Last edited:

Radford Roost

Moving in
Real Name
Levi Radford
He is 3 years old, so fully adult. However, he is starting to go through a molt now, so we'll see how his new feathers come out. If his feathers some in the same way then I guess it is his mutation, because I am definitely doing all I can to reduce stress and ensure a healthy living environment.

Kodigirl210

Either way he’s a lovely boy and he’s feathers would have already been growing so if he’s just gotten to you in the last couple weeks it’s possible they may still have some stress marks.

It may have to be the next molt where you see a drastic improvement. No worries though. I’m sure regardless of where he’s been he’ll be. A lot happier now. My only complaint is if you can’t have just one like Pringles, why can’t they be as cheap per bird LOL. :D

Radford Roost

Moving in
Real Name
Levi Radford
We'll see how they turn out!
And I totally agree, I'm at four so far after only a few years! Two of them are a pair that make chicks every year. At this rate, I'll have too many birds to count by the time I'm 30!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you, Avocado, and Lime! :)