• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this diarrhea? (WARNING: Poop photo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

falsk

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Hey guys...

I had Beakman on my shoulder as I was getting ready for work yesterday afternoon and she pooped on the kitchen floor and it looked like this.

photo.jpeg

I knew it didn't look right, but I didn't realize until just now it might be diarrhea. I checked her papers last night when I got home (she was already in bed at that point) and there were a few that looked like that but they've seen normal since this morning . She hasn't acted off at all during the past 24 hours. I suppose if they look like this again I should take her to the vet, but is there anything else I should be doing? I can't think of what might have given it to her... maybe too much fruit? For now I'll just give her her pellets and Kathy's mix.

Sorry for the graphic pic--I've heard about parrot diarrhea, but I just realized I have no idea what it looks like.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
The poo part isn't solid, so yes. The way it's grainy makes me wonder if it's something she ate.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it black like it looks in the photo? If it continues, I would take him to the vet. If it is just this one poop, then I wouldn't worry unless she has other symptoms.

falsk

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Blackish-green, I guess? It definitely only lasted from about 3p-11p yesterday, although I was leaving from work so I can only guess the time frame from that one and the ones on her papers. Everything's seemed good today, but I'll keep watch. I just wish I could figure out what might've caused it. I imagine it would've been something I gave her yesterday morning... but I don't think there was anything out of the ordinary. :\

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not to freak you out too much, but black feces usually means digested blood UNLESS they've been eating blueberries or blackberries. I'd keep an eye on her and monitor her poops closely.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
what did she eat yesterday?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sometimes when they bathe or shower they ingest a lot of water which does result in some pretty watery poops for a few hours afterwards. The solids are still somewhat solid, just broken up. The excessive liquid can also cause that. When they really have diarrhea it's a paste where it all looks the same without any separation of liquids and solids.

falsk

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Sometimes when they bathe or shower they ingest a lot of water which does result in some pretty watery poops for a few hours afterwards. The solids are still somewhat solid, just broken up. The excessive liquid can also cause that. When they really have diarrhea it's a paste where it all looks the same without any separation of liquids and solids.
That's good to know, although it still remains a mystery why her poo looked like that since she hadn't eaten anything out of the ordinary nor had she taken a bath. But I suppose, what's important is her droppings are fine now. I'll just monitor what she consumes closely for the rest of the week.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Did she have veggies? Cochise's poop will look like that after greens sometimes.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Sometimes when Mali drinks a lot, takes a shower and ingest a lot of water, or doesn't eat much for some reason, her poops will look like that. Since the poops have been normal since I wouldn't freak out, but definitely keep an eye out and make sure the poops stay normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.