• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this canary a boy or a girl?

Piccione

Sitting on the front steps
Hello there!

I recently purchased this canary and I wish people could tell me if it’s a male or female canary…

Usually mosaic pattern is easy to understand, as males and females are different, but I can’t make up my mind.

It’s the same bird in all pictures

Thank you!

Attachments

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
@finchly?
I’m a parrot person so I have no idea :p

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful bird!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Does it sing often?

Piccione

It’s three days since I have it so I don’t really know… right now no, but if he’s a male he will start to sing like crazy… for now it’s always quiet

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I am not an expert on canaries and there are many different color mutations available. My understanding is that most breeds of canary are monomorphic and there is very little visual distinction between the genders. Gender is distinguished by behavior or DNA testing.

One exception is the mosiac canary. These canaries are not true canaries, but a hybrid of two related species, the Common Canary (Serinus canaria) and the Red Siskin (Spinus cucullatus). Red Siskins are dimorphic, with the males showing more color than the female. Breeders crossed these two species and selected for the mosiac color pattern, while breeding back to canaries. From a genetic perspective, most mosiac canaries are predominately canary, but they carry some residual Red Siskin genes, which can show up as more intense color on male mosiac canaries, especially the red or yellow coloring associated with carotenoids.

f1.large_.jpg

If your bird was a regular mosiac canary, I would expect it to be white with red or yellow markings. The location and intensity of the markings would indicate the gender of the canary. Mosiacs are usually breed using solid yellow canaries so the markings are not obscured by barring.

However, your bird has additional green/brown markings similar to a wild-type canary. I am not familiar with this type of canary and would double-check with the breeder or seller to find out exactly what kind of canary you have. There are lots of different color-bred canaries available. Knowing the type will help determine if this kind can be visually sexed.

Piccione

They told me its either a Isabel, yellow factor, Brown canary or a mutation that we call “Mogano” or “Quarzo” (Quartz), yellow factor, brown canary. I don’t know the translation in English though.
It should be a mosaic canary coloured with dark, melanic colours, but it’s still a mosaic.

Piccione

I believe they are confused because it’s too dark to be a Isabel but too light to be a “Mogano” canary…

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
This may be a dumb question, but why do you think it is a mosiac? It sounds like the breeder told you it was a combination of other color mutations and its markings do not match that closely to yellow mosiac, imo.

Piccione

The breeder told me the type of pattern that it has.

The names like Isabel, brown and Mogano describe how ligh/dark and frequent are the dark markings on a Melanic canary and the coloration of the general plumage.

The the factor information tell me if the “highlights” are more yellow, white or red coloured

Then they spoke about it being a mosaic type canary.
mosaic refers to the yellow highlight pattern and “”””””breed””””” of canary.

So yeah in total my canary should be a mosaic, yellow factor, brown [choose one: Mogano/Isabel] canary.

idk if it makes sense?
Ill try to link a picture. Here they describe the factor colour and the type of the feather coloration

Attachments

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
In that case, it is probably female. From the pictures I've seen, a mosaic male would have a lot more yellow color on the face.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
This is not a mosaic canary, looks nothing like one. I have a female Mosaic.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What mutation do you think it might be? It's very comely!