• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this caique a hybrid?

Chetan Reddy

Moving in
Good day all, hope you are doing well. I have a question I was hoping to ask. I was gifted a female white bellied caique and I just purchased a male for her.. He is a lovely bird and I am happy as hell to have him. But I have this one nagging feeling that he might be a cross and not a pure white bellied caique. It doesn't matter if he is a cross but it is just that I would like to know and was hoping you could help put the doubt to rest. What makes me suspect this is his beak and feet. They just seem way too dark for a pure white bellied caique. He was sold to me as an 8 month old but I suspect he is much older. Please have a look at his pictures and give me your valuable feedback. Also both the pictures are of the same bird. One taken with flash and the other without. TIA.

Attachments

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Chetan Reddy

Moving in
Fantastic, thank you so much for this thread.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
My Mickey is a 7 and a half year old female who has darker feet, the sides of her beak are dark, and she has a black spot on her head (all of the other black baby feathers have grown out). These markings help me tell her apart from her buddy! I don't imagine the color of her beak or feet will change with time. And I hope she keeps the black spot on her head. Unfortunately this photo doesn't show the black spot. 7C65A725-A588-4D9E-8EA1-013517D833C0_1_201_a.jpeg

Chetan Reddy

Moving in
My Mickey is a 7 and a half year old female who has darker feet, the sides of her beak are dark, and she has a black spot on her head (all of the other black baby feathers have grown out). These markings help me tell her apart from her buddy! I don't imagine the color of her beak or feet will change with time. And I hope she keeps the black spot on her head. Unfortunately this photo doesn't show the black spot. View attachment 373196
What a beauty she is

Chetan Reddy

Moving in
Beak and feet colouration vary widely between individual caiques, so I wouldnt worry on that score. Mine vary a great deal, and Ive bought from VERY reputable breeders
That's good to know. Thank you so much.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Looks like you got lots of feedback. I see he still has yellow feathers on his belly, red eyes and the black feathers on his head. For his age I would think maybe a year to year and a half. I wouldn't rule out the 8 months but I would think most likely close to a year old. He has a lot of the black head feathers still but has lost a lot of his yellow belly feathers so it would seem he has molted some and that seem to happen later than 8 months.

There is nothing at all on this bird that makes me think hybrid. WBC babies can have any amount of black on their heads as babies but will lose all or most of the black feathers by the time they are two (by 1 1/2 years old they almost look like adults). Light feet, freckles, patches to all black are within normal for a WBC. The dark spots or dark feet also tend to get darker as they age.

Just a little tid bit. Did you know that black-capped caiques hatch with all white skin but as they grow and feather out they get black feet, nails, beaks and the skin under their little black cap turns black as well. The skin around their eyes can be light or dark.

If an adult bird had a large amount of black feathers I would perhaps think about considering it a hybrid. I am not a expert on hybrids but I guarantee that this bird, for it's age looks normal to me :)

He is a cutie!