• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this cage's size okay for my cockatiel?

BirbBirdy

Strolling the yard
Hi guys,

Over the past few months, I've been actively looking for a new cage for my cockatiel. He's still young, and I only brought a temporary cage for him at the shop I got him from and was always planning to upgrade to a larger cage once he's growing.

I understand the minimum cage size for a cockatiel is 60cm length x 45cm width x 60cm height (or 24" length x 18" width x 24" height), so I was looking for a cage larger than this size for the comfort of him. I've been looking for cages around £45 - £60, as I don't have a high budget, but I still want him to be as happy as possible.

He's out most of the day, and I only let him go back in his cage for around 30 minutes to an hour to just eat and relax for a bit, then I get him back out. I found this cage which I like the design of, as it is similar to the cage he is currently in - I do like the rectangle shape due to it being suitable for the stand he is on. Riviera Ice Monace Small Bird Cage

I just wanted to get your guys' opinions on the cage (I'm no expert!), because I want to provide him with the best things possible with the small budget I have. He loves his cage currently (it's in the recommended size for a cockatiel cage), but bigger is better. I don't have a lot of room for a HUGE cage like some people do have, and this cage is a perfect size.

Here is the cage link again - Riviera Ice Monace Small Bird Cage

Thank you for your help! :)

bhansenuta

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bella
The 70 cm would be good, but it is concerning that the width is only 40 cm which is about 15 inches. That one might not be the best in my opinion. I'd try and look for one that has a slightly bigger width, but if he's out of his cage all day and its really only a sleeping cage then it shouldn't matter too much!

Bigger is definitely always better :)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That cage is too small unless he is spending most of the day out of the cage (which he is). However, if your circumstances ever change and he's out of the cage less, then you'd need to provide him with a bigger cage.

This site has information on wingspan and suitable cage sizes: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

A cage should be of 1.5x the bird's wingspan so they have enough room to stretch. Bigger is obviously better. A cockatiel has an average wingspan of 19.5"/49.5cm so the minimum recommended cage size is 32x21" or 80x53cm.

BirbBirdy

Strolling the yard
That cage is too small unless he is spending most of the day out of the cage (which he is). However, if your circumstances ever change and he's out of the cage less, then you'd need to provide him with a bigger cage.

This site has information on wingspan and suitable cage sizes: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

A cage should be of 1.5x the bird's wingspan so they have enough room to stretch. Bigger is obviously better. A cockatiel has an average wingspan of 19.5"/49.5cm so the minimum recommended cage size is 32x21" or 80x53cm.
Thank you for your help, I'll have a look for a cage which is 80cmx53cm (is that length and height?). And also, do you have any recommendations for cages in the UK around £45-£60?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for your help, I'll have a look for a cage which is 80cmx53cm (is that length and height?). And also, do you have any recommendations for cages in the UK around £45-£60?
That's length and width. Height doesn't matter so much - birds aren't helicopters and don't fly vertically, so a very tall cage will have a lot of wasted space. I would prioritise horizontal space.

I think you've found the best cage you can for that price. Unfortunately, it's harder to find decent cages in the UK for a reasonable price. We don't get the same range as those in the US do. When I was looking for a cage, I was so disappointed by what I could find that I got a custom cage from Rosemead Aviaries. It's a superb cage and I'd recommend them to anyone, but I think they're probably out of your budget.

BirbBirdy

Strolling the yard
That's length and width. Height doesn't matter so much - birds aren't helicopters and don't fly vertically, so a very tall cage will have a lot of wasted space. I would prioritise horizontal space.

I think you've found the best cage you can for that price. Unfortunately, it's harder to find decent cages in the UK for a reasonable price. We don't get the same range as those in the US do. When I was looking for a cage, I was so disappointed by what I could find that I got a custom cage from Rosemead Aviaries. It's a superb cage and I'd recommend them to anyone, but I think they're probably out of your budget.
Thankyou for your help. I think if you think it is okay, and I get him out most of the time, I will get this cage.

The height and length of the cage are good, and I’ve noticed he likes climbing up and down his cage, rather than flying around, and prefers to fly around outside of his cage.

I really wanted a larger cage so that when he’s not out, I can fit in plenty of toys and things that will stimulate his mind more. I think this one is perfect for my needs and it will not be a cage he’s in a lot anyway.
Thank you again. :D

MarshyTiel

Moving in
Real Name
Annie
I think to start out, getting a wider cage is good for tiels since they can shuffle side to side. I got my cage for about 40 USD. She was out of the cage for a good amount of the day too. I've attached a photo.

Attachments

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really wanted a larger cage so that when he’s not out, I can fit in plenty of toys and things that will stimulate his mind more. I think this one is perfect for my needs and it will not be a cage he’s in a lot anyway.
Thank you again. :D
Bear in mind that this is smaller than the recommended size so you'll have to be careful about not putting in too many toys so that he can still stretch his wings out properly. As I said, this cage is okay if he's out for the majority of the day but if your circumstances change and he has to be in his cage more, please get a bigger cage.

BirbBirdy

Strolling the yard
I think to start out, getting a wider cage is good for tiels since they can shuffle side to side. I got my cage for about 40 USD. She was out of the cage for a good amount of the day too. I've attached a photo.
That looks good, do you have a link I can click to see the cage? :D