• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this cage any good??

Best Bird

Walking the driveway
I recently bought a cage online for about $300. Here is the link to the cage online that shows the website: 3 Color, NEW Large 30" Corner Parrot Bird Wrought Iron Cage Size R30” X 64”H 357 | eBay image.jpg
I though it would be a good buy but now I am not so sure. One of the sides of the cage came with 2 busted wires and others that are bent... image.jpg
There is also chipped paint on the seed skirt but it’s not that bad. One of the things that bugging me is that on one of the sides there is no coating over the wrought iron...a factory mistake. image.jpg The wires of the cage are also a little bendy but probably sturdy enough for a cockatiel?
I also noticed on the feeding doors the screw that the little door swings on is not powder coated either.... is this bad since they could chew on it and it’s by the water bowl or am I just worrying too much? image.jpg
The last thing I’m not so sure about is the trays that I’ll be cleaning. They are also metal and not plastic so when I’ll be sliding them out to clean them, there will be metal sliding on metal. Will this eventually wear out the powder coating on the bottom of the cage and trays? Should I just replace the broken side of the cage with all the issues, not worry about the not coated screws and call it good? Or should I just return it and find a new cage? If anyone has cage suggestions they found online that they think would work for a cockatiel, I’d be more than happy to see them!:) If this one doesn’t work I’d like a big one so she has plenty of space.

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Is the bar spacing 1/2″ – 5/8″? It's hard to tell from the photos. This is by far the largest cage I've ever seen someone house a cockatiel in! You definitely went above and beyond; i'm sure she'll appreciate being spoiled. The only thing I would be concerned with is fixing the busted wires. Lastly, I wouldn't worry about the metal on metal. She can't get to the tray at all, and likely won't spend much time on the grate.

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Yeah just fix the broken wires and you'll be good. i wouldn't worry about the screws and the other bits that aren't coated. It isn't likely for your bird to come into much contact with these bits. The trays are usually made of metal for a reason that I can't undertsand. Plastic is so easy to clean and transport and makes for a lighter cage to move around. Your cockatiel will be very happy in it!

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Is the bar spacing 1/2″ – 5/8″? It's hard to tell from the photos. This is by far the largest cage I've ever seen someone house a cockatiel in! You definitely went above and beyond; i'm sure she'll appreciate being spoiled. The only thing I would be concerned with is fixing the busted wires. Lastly, I wouldn't worry about the metal on metal. She can't get to the tray at all, and likely won't spend much time on the grate.
I think it is small enough to house cockatiels if you look in relation to her fingers. :smileflower:

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
That cage is huge for a cockatiel. My husband would kill me if I brought a cage like that into the house. I made sure to ordered my cage at a place that I could easily return “ Walmart”.
My cage came with a cracked poop tray. I contacted the company and they are sending me a new one.
My cage is like $95 with tax. The only thing I don’t like about my cage is the poop tray. Tray is made out of cheap plastic and there is no seed guard on it. It’s not a big deal to me because I could always go to Home Depo buy myself a plastic sheet, cut it up, and zip tie it to the cage to prevent the seeds from getting all over the place. Overall I’m very happy with my cage.

Attachments

Last edited:

Best Bird

Walking the driveway
That cage is huge for a cockatiel. My husband would kill me if I brought a cage like that into the house. I made sure to ordered my cage at a place that I could easily return “ Walmart”.
My cage came with a cracked poop tray. I contacted the company and they are sending me a new one.
My cage is like $95 with tax. The only thing I don’t like about my cage is the poop tray. Tray is made out of cheap plastic and there is no seed guard on it. It’s not a big deal to me because I could always go to Home Depo buy myself a plastic sheet, cut it up, and zip tie it to the cage to prevent the seeds from getting all over the place. Overall I’m very happy with my cage.
Oh I really like that cage! I think I might get one like that for my budgie Alder! I went ahead and kept the cage I ordered for my cockatiel Blush and she seems really happy. And yeah lol I did go overboard on size but I guess she’s happy, plus I wanted her to have plenty of room to move since I’m going to be gone at college most of the day.

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
Oh I really like that cage! I think I might get one like that for my budgie Alder! I went ahead and kept the cage I ordered for my cockatiel Blush and she seems really happy. And yeah lol I did go overboard on size but I guess she’s happy, plus I wanted her to have plenty of room to move since I’m going to be gone at college most of the day.
There's no such thing as too big! It's amazing that you got such a large one! I'll have to keep it in mind for when I actually have money...
So glad you have a happy bird!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you ask for replacement panels for any that are damaged or not powder coated they should send you some new ones. Everything else is not a problem really as long as the bar spacing is right for the bird you intend to put in there.

Just noticed you do not have a bar running through the bottom of the cage to hold the trays up.... does that cage have two trays?

Best Bird

Walking the driveway
If you ask for replacement panels for any that are damaged or not powder coated they should send you some new ones. Everything else is not a problem really as long as the bar spacing is right for the bird you intend to put in there.

Just noticed you do not have a bar running through the bottom of the cage to hold the trays up.... does that cage have two trays?
Yeah I just hadn’t finished putting it together. I decided to keep the cage this is what it looks like right now D596E3B2-2482-46DA-B497-02D75B91AB0F.jpeg

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
A very spoilt birdy you have! Beautiful setup!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yeah I just hadn’t finished putting it together. I decided to keep the cage this is what it looks like right now View attachment 354142
I have the same cage but larger- Burt loves it and refuses to move into the larger double macaw cage....... he will have no choice soon as he has broken way too many of the welds for me to be happy with him using his original cage anymore lol. I may end up buying a new corner cage for him if he is insistent enough that he hates the newer double mac cages :(