• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is This Air Conditioner Safe?

lucorinth

Checking out the neighborhood
Hiya all, I was about to buy an air conditioner (it's so hot here), but I saw this in the end of the description "Plus, the clean air Ionizer removes pollen and impurities from the air providing relief for allergy sufferers." The AC is Frigidaire FFRE0633U1 6000 BTU 115V , which everyone recommends very highly and I'd love to grab it while it's on sale if it is safe. Google gives me mixed results on the safety for birds for A/Cs with ionizers. I've asked on the amazon page if there is a way to turn it off or if people have experience using it with birds, but no bites so far. Our house has no central cooling/heating, and it very humid, so it's pretty miserable.

It does seem that air conditioner ionizers are way weaker than air purifier kinds, but I'm really paranoid about the safety of my babies and just want to make sure.

Amazon.com: Frigidaire FFRE0633U1 6000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Mini-Compact Full-Function Remote Control, White Air Conditioner: Home & Kitchen

The reason I want to use this one is it's the best reviewed one for a cheap unit that can cool 250 feet, which we need since I have two rooms connected.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If there's a way to turn the ionizer off it would be well worth getting

ETA: Just checked at Frigidaire, neither the specs nor the user manual mention an ionizer, just a cleanable filter.

Last edited:

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi

lucorinth

Checking out the neighborhood
If there's a way to turn the ionizer off it would be well worth getting

ETA: Just checked at Frigidaire, neither the specs nor the user manual mention an ionizer, just a cleanable filter.
I found one review (from the link you included) that said this:

LadyDrow

5.0 out of 5 starsGreat window a/c unit
September 4, 2018
Verified Purchase
Works great. This one does not have the clean air ionizer/air purifier on it. I was disappointed to learn that. But, otherwise, I am happy with it.

Thank you both! I guess the amazon listing just has a false detail in the listing.