• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this a safe air purifier?

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Looks just fine to me as it is 100% ozone free, does not use UV or Ions which produce trace amounts of measurable ozone, a harmful air pollutant.

Sandra Gibson

Walking the driveway
Mine is a LEVOIT, it is Ozone free has a HEPA filter is CA PROP Certified, AHAM certified, I love it so quiet you don't know its on,

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I 2 of the next model up, the wifi version. I like the wifi version because I it can be put on a schedule when it turns on and off. It is safe.

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
thank you!
I have a filterless air purifier in my bedroom that has an ionizer and one in the livingroom that has a triple filtration system (includes a hepa filter) and an ionizer. I was under the impression ionizers were healthy. I bought the air filter for the livingroom when I noticed how much white dust had been collecting on Oliver's cage.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I have a filterless air purifier in my bedroom that has an ionizer and one in the livingroom that has a triple filtration system (includes a hepa filter) and an ionizer. I was under the impression ionizers were healthy. I bought the air filter for the livingroom when I noticed how much white dust had been collecting on Oliver's cage.
There is controversy that large build build up of ions can be bad for birds. I don't even think you are supposed to use ionizers for small infants because it can irritate their respiratory/damage system. I just dont use them.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ionizers produce ozone, which can be harmful to both humans' and birds' respiratory systems. They're generally considered a no-no if you have parrots (or pets in general).

Here's a link regarding ionizers from the EPA: Ozone Generators that are Sold as Air Cleaners | US EPA

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
After further due diligence I will be turning off the ionizer function in the air purifier in the lovingroom. This is the air purifier I recently purchased for the livingroom which is a fre feet away from Oliver's cage.
Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier with True HEPA and Eco Mode https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTKAPUU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_krQ8Db7HAJA35