• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this a prolapse?

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
Hi, lately I've noticed that one of my canaries is bald around her vent, so today I've decided to take a photo, and there seems to be something red there. However on the second photo that I took an hour later you can no longer see it. She's acting fine as she always was.

Attachments

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
I've read that it's normal to have a temporary prolapse immediately after laying an egg but she hasn't laid any today.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You should watch that very carefully and if it becomes more consistent or larger, get her to a vet right away. It very well could be the beginning of a prolapse.

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
You should watch that very carefully and if it becomes more consistent or larger, get her to a vet right away. It very well could be the beginning of a prolapse.
Thank you, I will. I have been checking it every 10-15 minutes since then and it still looks like in the second picture (for now...).

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
So far still nothing, I have been anxiously checking it many times every day.

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
Occasionally I have seen the vent slightly open for a bit (a second or two) like she was passing gas (I know birds don't but that is what came to my mind), I don't know if that is normal. I did not see anything red there anymore.

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
I briefly saw some red color when she opened her vent to poop, is the inside of it supposed to be of that color?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes the inside is reddish and pink.