• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this a new feather thats growing?

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
I stated that he was itchy and i see him like bite the feather and slide along the feather. He also has these small feathers growing.

another question, when is a lovebirds first molt?Mine is around the 8 weeks - 10. Weeks

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
i see him like bite the feather and slide along the feather
That´s right. Preening. Birds do it a lot, working through all the feathers and maintaining them.

when is a lovebirds first molt?
Somewhere between 5-9 months usually, it will all depend on environment, diet, sense of security etc but they should have their adult plumage by their first hatchday :)

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
That´s right. Preening. Birds do it a lot, working through all the feathers and maintaining them.

Somewhere between 5-9 months usually, it will all depend on environment, diet, sense of security etc but they should have their adult plumage by their first hatchday :)
Thanks alot! I have gotten my first parrot and before that i only picked up strays id see around take a but care of m and release them never went this in depth. But now i have too thanks alot!
His new cage is arriving 2morrow and is toys taken too long. I let him out alot so he doesnt get bored inside the small cage i got him with before i even knew i would have him.

i was also thinking of getting him a friend or a partner doestheir age matters? Or does it depend on how they both react?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
i was also thinking of getting him a friend or a partner doestheir age matters? Or does it depend on how they both react?
when you bring home a second bird, keep them in separate rooms for a month to six weeks while you get the new bird to the vet and test him for illness/diseases.
After that, you can put the cages in the same room. Once they seem comfortable or interested in the other bird, allow them to spend time together outside of their cages.
You can only house them together when they are a bonded pair, if they even bond at all. If they don´t form a bond, they will have to live in their own cages.
Age, sex, doesn´t really matter, species of lovebird doesn´t matter either if you won´t breed them. It will all come down to their own personality. So keep that in mind when you bring home a new bird, your current bird may not like them. All we can do is hope for the best.
It´s a big decision to make, so no rush :)

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
when you bring home a second bird, keep them in separate rooms for a month to six weeks while you get the new bird to the vet and test him for illness/diseases.
After that, you can put the cages in the same room. Once they seem comfortable or interested in the other bird, allow them to spend time together outside of their cages.
You can only house them together when they are a bonded pair, if they even bond at all. If they don´t form a bond, they will have to live in their own cages.
Age, sex, doesn´t really matter, species of lovebird doesn´t matter either if you won´t breed them. It will all come down to their own personality. So keep that in mind when you bring home a new bird, your current bird may not like them. All we can do is hope for the best.
It´s a big decision to make, so no rush :)
When i put videos on any parrot specie he talks back to them looks behind the phone trying to find them. Thats why i thought might be lonely. Im a college student and also have a part time job so sometimes i reach the 9 hour shift. Thats why i thought id get him someone so he wont get lonely

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was the same when I had just one lovebird. I worked 8 hours but I came home for my hour lunchbreak. I thought my bird needed a friend.

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
I was the same when I had just one lovebird. I worked 8 hours but I came home for my hour lunchbreak. I thought my bird needed a friend.
He doesnt leave me alone sometimes i even come late for school and work. Cant post a video sadly would summarise why he is really clingy and sleeps for hours in my hand like this

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Such a cutie! The younger birds really like climbing into those small spaces.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
I think that little white feather on his rump is the oil gland....they get some oil from there, and then they go preen their other feathers to keep them nice and shiny and healthy (and maybe even a bit waterproof...I forget if lovebirds can do that or not)

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
I think that little white feather on his rump is the oil gland....they get some oil from there, and then they go preen their other feathers to keep them nice and shiny and healthy (and maybe even a bit waterproof...I forget if lovebirds can do that or not)
Ooh i see thanks! Might be because he was fed alot of seeds. Im working on him eating veggies and fruits. I will also buy pellets for him soon

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
Such a cutie! The younger birds really like climbing into those small spaces.
To adorable and thats why i come late for work or classes. even right now he is preening my hair kissing me on my lips ect. I tried showing some ropes but he is scarred. I should prolly put those in his cage so he gets used to them

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hes probably moulting , can you give him mists or baths to help ease the tension of new feathers coming in? And, yes, that looks like the " Preen " gland in your pic.

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
Hes probably moulting , can you give him mists or baths to help ease the tension of new feathers coming in? And, yes, that looks like the " Preen " gland in your pic.
Wait he is ? Wow about the baths. Only bath he enjoys till now is just humidity bath when i shower i just put him a bit awa from water i dont wanna force him.