• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this a good rat chop?

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Is this a good rat chop? Not for regular meals, but I like feeding a meal like this every few days.
Right top corner: raw broccoli
Right lower corner: raw celery
Right lower corner to the left of the celery: raw baby carrot
Left top corner: oat bran from breakfast cereal
Left lower corner: dog food
Left middle: raw elbow pasta
Middle: mixture of herbs including lemon balm, chamomile, lavender, peppermint, and basil IMG_0502.JPG IMG_0504.JPG

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Looks yummy! I usually give them the same stuff I give my bird :) I give about 1 tbsp a day

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd be cautious about dog kibble because there's a lot of low quality dog kibble out there. Check the ingredients list and be cautious about "meat meal" because that usually isn't high quality. I wouldn't feed pasta except as a training treat because it's just carbs without a lot of nutritional value. Check the sugar content of the breakfast cereal - a lot of breakfast cereals have a really high sugar content - even muesli and apparently healthy options had 3x the sugar I was aiming for. You want 4g of sugar per 100g or lower. I could only achieve this by using unsweetened rice crispies, unsweetened cornflakes or unsweetened weetabix.

The veg looks great :)

I found Alison Campbell's stuff useful. I have a copy of The Scuttling Gourmet and you can by ebooks: Feeding your rat Archives - The Scuttling Gourmet