• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this a broken foot?

OrangIsld

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jackson
I just noticed this on my budgie, her foot appears to be stuck like this after she slipped off her perch after a bath - not sure if this is the cause or I only just noticed from a previous injury
She appears to be standing on it fine, and is grooming it okay, but the toes dont change shape as she walks, money is really tight at the moment, and i need to make absolutely sure this is
a. a definite issue
b. not treatable at home

Attachments

OrangIsld

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jackson
I just noticed this on my budgie, her foot appears to be stuck like this after she slipped off her perch after a bath - not sure if this is the cause or I only just noticed from a previous injury
She appears to be standing on it fine, and is grooming it okay, but the toes dont change shape as she walks, money is really tight at the moment, and i need to make absolutely sure this is
a. a definite issue
b. not treatable at home
Update: She's started chewing on it often, and is standing on one foot

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Your bird needs to see an Avian vet. It is not just the toes that are not sitting right- I would guess that would have to be excruciating for the poor little sweetie.

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd definitely take her to the vet asap. Not to scare you but she could easily mutilate her entire foot beyond repair or potentially chew it completely off. I've seen that happen with a Jenday on another forum. He was quicked during a nail trim and his nail was cut so far back and bled that he went from messing with it to having completely chewed the entire toe off overnight and part of another one because of the pain.

I am not saying this will happen with your little one but pain makes them do unexpected things and I don't want things to get worse for her or you if treatment is delayed especially since you've said she's already chewing at it.
I sincerely hope she will be ok,please keep us updated.

OrangIsld

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jackson
I'd definitely take her to the vet asap. Not to scare you but she could easily mutilate her entire foot beyond repair or potentially chew it completely off. I've seen that happen with a Jenday on another forum. He was quicked during a nail trim and his nail was cut so far back and bled that he went from messing with it to having completely chewed the entire toe off overnight and part of another one because of the pain.

I am not saying this will happen with your little one but pain makes them do unexpected things and I don't want things to get worse for her or you if treatment is delayed especially since you've said she's already chewing at it.
I sincerely hope she will be ok,please keep us updated.
Thank you, i called the vet and sent pictures - he said the foot does look fractured, but there wouldnt be much they could do. She appears to have stopped chewing on it (i think it might have just been grooming? though she was grooming that foot specifically?) and she isn't raising it anymore and walks on it. Ive been told to check back in on tuesday. This is weird to me, because surely the vet would be able to do something?

Do you guys know if theres anything i can do at home? Could i bandage the toe or splint it so it isn't weirdly shaped? Is there anything i should be looking for?

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
I am surprised the vet wouldn’t see her! If she’s standing on one foot she must be uncomfortable bless her. Surely they’d be able to at least bandage it up to avoid any more damage to it? :( I would either phone back or if there is another avian vet near you, get another opinion. Surely some pain relief/an anti inflammatory could help too

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree. All vets should have at least two options no matter the species: pain killers &/or humane euthanasia. Many have a compassionate rate for the latter, if cost is an issue, especially emergency vets. They don't want to see anyone suffer.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Are there any over the counter pain reliefs suitable for budgies i can find?
I'm not sure. Even if there are you would need a vet to tell you the dosage. For an animal that is weighed in grams, it's hard to break apart a tablet that is intended to be used by a person who weighs over 100 lbs.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Most human medications (even over the counter ones) are not compatible with animals and can kill them quite easily, I have never seen an over the counter pain med for animals either.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Any updates?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Beeper the house finch we raised had her foot bit and broken by Nerd when he decided he didn't like her on his cage. She was bleeding a bit and in pain but over time it healed up on its own and she started using it again. The tendons tightened up with time and her toes curled up and she couldn't straighten them back out. I would stretch them out for her for therapy but she didn't like it so I stopped and she adapted fine.
I would definitely at least check on pain meds as it looks similar to what happened to Beeper and it definitely hurt her at first but didn't know what to do and was afraid to take a tame wild bird to the vet.