• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

is this a bad idea

roync

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
roy
jem at night sleeps under his toys i hang them and he takes them down and sleeps under them, would it be a bad idea to give him a box?

Attachments

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
No. Bad idea.

The box would only encourage hormones, and hormonal birds are never fun.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mini locking screw on rings for his toys! It could save his life.
I had a sun conure that loved taking his toys down. He got caught up in one that was falling its way down to the bottom of the cage…he was hanging to the underneath of the toy when he unhooked it, and it landed on top of him. He was badly injured. He sustained a serious bruise from the wooden part of the toy falling on his chest- it was ugly and an expensive emergency trip to the vet!
I no longer allow birds to take down their toys. They can chew pieces off to their hearts content.. but they stay where they’re hung until a human moves them.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
sleeps under them
For this part, if he wants to burrow/cozy into something (other than a box, which I agree has issues), you could try something that one of my guys enjoys.
In my case, I've tied paper rope to the links on stainless steel chains and hung a few of them few of them in a way that he can nuzzle into (like vines perhaps).
During they day, they serve double-duty as preening toys because he likes to shred them.

roync

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
roy
Mini locking screw on rings for his toys! It could save his life.
I had a sun conure that loved taking his toys down. He got caught up in one that was falling its way down to the bottom of the cage…he was hanging to the underneath of the toy when he unhooked it, and it landed on top of him. He was badly injured. He sustained a serious bruise from the wooden part of the toy falling on his chest- it was ugly and an expensive emergency trip to the vet!
I no longer allow birds to take down their toys. They can chew pieces off to their hearts content.. but they stay where they’re hung until a human moves them.
where do i find them, the toys that have pear clips he knows how to unscrew

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie