• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there too much out of cage time?

Perroquet

Meeting neighbors
How much out of cage time do you give your flighted birds? My pair of conures is out 6-8 hours per day, and I'm wondering if that's too much? Is it possible they can be overstimulated and need more downtime? Am also dealing with some behavior issues (posted in another thread on Behavior so don't want to cross-post here). For context: they have "free range" in an open-plan living room/family room/kitchen (with supervision, always) with plenty of perches, swings, and landing areas.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I don’t think too much of out of cage time is a thing but you can put them down for a “Nap” in the middle of the day so they calm down :)

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Both my birds are out from 9am until 9pm but they are not flyers.
Also, if they want to chill or eat they can just go back in their cages for as long as they want.
The only time they are really in their cages are at night, or if I have to go out.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think it depends on the birds. My Quakers needed some cage time because otherwise they would get into trouble lol. But my Jardine's is out 10-12 hours a day. He puts himself away for a nap and bedtime. He also doesn't fly, though he could if he wanted to

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I have a fully flighted cockatiel and a clipped cockatoo (she came to me that way). They’re out from usually 9am to 8pm, with a “nap time” midday. I can’t say for sure the nap time helps them, but I have stuff I need to do without their “help” :roflmao: They do seem to know the schedule though, and they’re quiet for the 2 hours they’re caged in the afternoon.

The only time I notice a significant attitude change is when it’s bedtime. If my cockatiel is up late, he gets crabby and bitey.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
No I don't think there is ever too much out of cage time. Parrots are an active species unlike dogs, cats, many other pets that spend a great deal of time napping and laying around. Parrots are very active foragers . A cage is for sleep, safty when you are away, and briefly when busy.

All 6 of mine are flighted. They are out from 7 am to about 630 pm . I also do a mid day cage nap time of about an hour.

I have a lot of different perch areas ( their furniture) to hang out and move between. I have 6 hanging perches or movable stands. . And above their cages I have a lot of perches I use ceiling hooks and fishing line to suspend them. This keeps them active movement between their areas, keeps them off my furniture, tables shelves pictures frames wood trim ect.

In the morning its over an hour they forage for their veggies on top of cages hanging or hidden around. Its also about an hour in the afternoon spent foraging fir veggies.

They sound about an hour post breakfast hanging out with me. Then they seem to go hunt stuff to destroy or chew on.

We do a little training before noon cage and nap time .

Ok getting way to detailed. Just trying to share their day is active.

Perroquet

Meeting neighbors
Thanks to all! The detail is helpful. We are a busy household with working parents and teenage kids at school, so on weekdays they can't be out all day (only one of the adults works from home, and not in the bird space for the most part). They're out from about 7:30-10, then again from 3-7. But i notice that the behavior issues tend to get worse on weekends when they are out all day and when everyone is around.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I think that you are looking at that the wrong way. It isn't increased out of cage time, it a response to the excitement and activity.

I think it would help things for all to use the same flock call phrase. As members of the family move out of sight to other rooms. Something like im in here birdies, or like a wolf whistle, or its ok. Respond to their flock call or occasionally you sound off first, just to let them know you are still around. Over time I've been able to tell a difference in their flock call check. Sometimes they sound off just to check im still around , that's when I use the whistle..Sometimes the sound off is like I forgot where are you? That's when I'm like I'm in here!

Flock species keep track of flock mates . Not knowing causes anxiety..

On that same theme, its very important for all member to let them know when they are leaving the house and when they are back. Just a quick going over and saying bye birds. Tho I give a treat when I leave. And on your return going over and saying im.bsck now and treat. It may seem like silly simple stuff , but has great value to a creature thsts programed to keep track of their flock . With lots of people coming and going, not knowing what's going on who's home can cause anxiety and frustration. My friend paid a great desl of money for an in home behavior expert to help her with issues with her parrot. Implementing the above had a huge postive impact for her parrot snd family.
Guests too.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Parrots are more intelligent than great apes. As well as being highly social with complex social systems on par with us humans. Flocking is instinctual. And they are a prey species.

It realy is like bringing a human toddler into your home that speaks a different language.

And keeping those facts in mind, as you learn to share your life with them .

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
EXCEPT from linked article" Still undomesticated, parrots evolved to fly miles every day, have unlimited social contacts with other flock members, forage for food of their own choosing, bathe in a manner and spot of their own choosing, remain active throughout the day shredding plant materials, and mate and raise their own young."

Its an excellent article and Pamela Clark is source of lots of excellent articles and information. This one cover a lot of topics well worth the read

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Parrots also tend to like consistency. Your birds are probably used to having some quiet time in the middle of the day. Wild parrots are observed to do similar and use this time for napping, preening and so on. A lot of captive parrots also choose to have some quiet time from late morning to early afternoon.

I wonder whether it would help to introduce some quiet in-cage time at around noon during weekends so as to not disrupt their schedule as much.

Perroquet

Meeting neighbors
Parrots are more intelligent than great apes. As well as being highly social with complex social systems on par with us humans. Flocking is instinctual. And they are a prey species.

It realy is like bringing a human toddler into your home that speaks a different language.

And keeping those facts in mind, as you learn to share your life with them .
Human toddler :rofl: I love it! (I work with babies, so I can definitely relate to that)

Perroquet

Meeting neighbors
Parrots also tend to like consistency. Your birds are probably used to having some quiet time in the middle of the day. Wild parrots are observed to do similar and use this time for napping, preening and so on. A lot of captive parrots also choose to have some quiet time from late morning to early afternoon.

I wonder whether it would help to introduce some quiet in-cage time at around noon during weekends so as to not disrupt their schedule as much.
Just for background: I've been fostering for 2 months, and I suspect they've never had out of cage time before. When they arrived, they didn't know how to fly (we were told they couldn't). So there was no "downtime" built into their day, and not much activity :( I'm learning about a new species plus a rescue animal, which I've never had before... and we have a busy household already!
So whatever they were "used to" before has dramatically changed!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
It sounds like they are doing very well despite ouch ears.

Its really great that interact with the whole family.

Parrots can take up to 3 months to settle in a new place. And Parrot time can be slow when changing behavior and adjusting.

My fearful of hands quaker took 6 months to step up a year before she cuddle. And many months to break her non stop screaming.

My rescue quaker from bad situation..took many months to settle in and nearly 2 years to rehabilitation and be a bird learn to fly. One of my other quakers was so dedicated to becoming her friend and it took her a year or more to win her over and becoming kissing buddies. At first Penny would run and later flutter away . But my sweet Pikachu was so gentle and patient. Now they are such good buddies abd spend lots if time together

I know your time for choosing is coming close. And I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other. I don't have feelings of what is best here . I just wanted to share my experiences with you to provide more information.