• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there non-stick bird safe cookware?

robbin2008

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Robbin LaPorta
I have been trying to find cookware that is non-stick and bird safe and will last more than a year like the Caraway cookware. Does anybody know if there is even such a thing?

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
We use Greenlife Ceramic and castiron

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
For pans, we use Gotham steel. Everything else is stainless steel pretty much.

Circling

Walking the driveway
Real Name
John
First, I've learned to appreciate that a lower temperature will make stove top cookware last. I watch family members at their house use only High or max settings on their stove.
:cool4:

Better quality stainless, cast iron, and also PTFE- PFOA free nonstick ceramic coating is promoted as no harmful fumes being released into the environment when heated (ceramic type).

That said, I'm very careful about 'ceramic' cookware claims in advertising, and bird safety. Better quality brands get my attention quick!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It depends on your cooking style and who is using the pans. Your three main options are ceramic, stainless steel and cast iron.

I have ProCook ceramic pans. They've lasted about three years but do need to be treated gently - I've noticed the ceramic coating chipping a tiny bit on the bottom. Don't go above a medium heat with these. They're good for gentle cooking but not for, for example, searing meat.

Stainless steel doesn't have a coating, but does need to be used at the right temperature. It's important to pre-heat the pan to the appropriate temperature; putting food into a cold pan will cause it to stick. Here's a good guide to cooking on stainless steel:Learn How to Cook With Stainless Steel (Without Your Food Sticking)

Cast iron comes as enamelled or non-enamelled. You need to check whether the enamel coating is safe. Cooking with enamelled cast iron is much like cooking on other kinds of non-stick - you may need a bit more oil, and the food is more likely to develop "fond". This is GREAT because you can use fond to make delicious sauces and gravies - see this: How to Make Sauce Out of Your Pan's Brown Bits (a.k.a Fond)

Uncoated cast iron is a whole thing in itself. Seasoning the pan with oil is very important. Over time, the layers of oil build up and create a non-stick surface. However, washing the pan with soap and cooking acidic things in the pan (like tomato-based sauces) will break down the seasoning and you'll have to start all over again. People tend to use these for cooking at high heat, especially things like steaks, eggs and vegetables.

Cast iron is heavy, so not great for people who'd struggle with the weight or for pans you want to shake and flip a lot.

It's very much about your cooking style and what you intend to make in it. I have an enamelled cast iron pot that I use for baking bread, soup, risotto and similar, then I have a set of ceramic pans for everything else. This set of pans work for me but might be completely wrong for someone who cooks differently.

JSyle

Meeting neighbors
I use copper chef, it has a ceramic nonstick coating that is ptfe & pfoa free. Pretty cheap and are very light.