• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there any way to stop this/establishing boundaries with bird

Haydenb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hayden Barr
I'm really not expecting any solution for this as it's only a mild annoyance and not anything super problematic. Ok so my bird will go on my keyboard and chew and peck around at it while I'm playing a game or watching something and will often go under my hand; then the situation happens as follows:
-i don't mind it for a few minutes
-i get annoyed and tell bird to step up
- she steps up and I set her on the other side of desk
-she waddles back and annoys the hell out of my doing it again
-i wiggle my finger at her and say no, she doesn't listen
-i tell her to step up and she steps up
-she does it again only getting nippy this time
-she bites a lot so I put her in her cage and at worst she's REALLY going at it with my hand I'll gently grab her and put her in her cage in the same room as the keyboard
-she then starts squaking, I ignore her until she's being more quiet so I don't give her attention when she's being overly loud
Is there anything I can do to help modify this behavior/is this normal or ok behavior? I got little bird toys for her that I change around every day or so so she has something to play with but she always seems to gravitate towards my keyboard and controller and is almost territorial in a way towards the keyboard, mouse and gaming controller

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
She's interested in it because you're interested in it. Does she have a play area outside of the cage? Any thing that encourages movement like swings hung from the ceiling? Any foraging opportunities?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I recall some other members with small birds finding some peace by placing a towel over their hands and keyboard while using it.
Of course this will only be helpful if you’re completely familiar with the placement of all the keys :)

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
i don't mind it for a few minutes
you need to stop her doing it straight away you allow it until you get annoyed and then you ask her to step up once you do get annoyed so it's a bit of a mixed message, it was ok and now it isnt.
As soon as she does this you need t get her to step up and move her elsewhere as @Mizzely somewhere more interesting where she can forage is a ideal place to move her have a box for foraging prepeared and when she does this ask her to step up and get the foraging box out place her by it and even play with what is in there for a bit to get her interested until she becomes more interested in foraging than your keyboard.

Haydenb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hayden Barr
Do you have any recommendations for some good foraging toys? My local pet store and the pet expo has kind of a crappy selection because they're either too big, unsafe (because of certain materials like cotton rope or crappy plastics) or they just don't have any at all.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Here are some ideas: