• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is There Any Way to Make Seeds Easier for My Bird to Eat

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
Hi me and the s/o have been sick and quarantining, asked my dad to get some seeds on his two hour trip towards us and he did get some. Wasn’t specifc enough and he got the seed mix is Kaytee Fiesta cockatiel food and my baby bird is struggling and we already opened the package and still firm on not leaving the apartment.

Any way I can make it easier for my baby bird to eat? He can eat seeds and pellets just fine but some of the bigger seeds and sunflower seeds r hard for him.

EDIT: He didn’t have physical contact us, he just left some porridge at our doorstep and some snacks!

Attachments

Last edited:

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
What kind of bird and how old is he?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You could try sprouting them.

A conure should have no trouble eating cockatiel food. Likely if he's not eating parts, it's simply because he doesn't want to!

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There shouldn’t be anything in that mix that a GCC can’t get open if he wanted to. Tiels and GCC sometimes struggle with large pumpkin seeds, but I’ve seen little 35 gram runt GCC split Pumpkin and squash seeds open determinedly! The kaytee mix isn’t amazing but it isn’t terrible for a seed mix and especially since you’re just quarantined for a short period of time, I think he’ll be just fine.

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
You could try sprouting them.

A conure should have no trouble eating cockatiel food. Likely if he's not eating parts, it's simply because he doesn't want to!
Ok I’ll have my s/o look into that and yea ur probably right on that. His weight is still the same so I guess I’m just worrying...Makes me feel bad seeing him struggle with opening a sunflower seeds!

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
There shouldn’t be anything in that mix that a GCC can’t get open if he wanted to. Tiels and GCC sometimes struggle with large pumpkin seeds, but I’ve seen little 35 gram runt GCC split Pumpkin and squash seeds open determinedly! The kaytee mix isn’t amazing but it isn’t terrible for a seed mix and especially since you’re just quarantined for a short period of time, I think he’ll be just fine.
Okay thank you for telling me this! Also that’s adorable. Little buddy really wanted those seeds :hilarious:

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As a new mom to a bird; remember you want hard things for your bird to figure out! Tackling tough challenges results in satisfaction for your bird. And satisfied birds are more confident birds!
Rejoice if/when he struggles trying to flip a toy over that weighs twice him. Be happy that he’s vigorously trying to crack that seed! These are not times to “rescue” or make things easier for him. You WANT that baby to struggle a bit at normal life things. That makes well adjusted adults!

Rejoice in him growing and learning!

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
As a new mom to a bird; remember you want hard things for your bird to figure out! Tackling tough challenges results in satisfaction for your bird. And satisfied birds are more confident birds!
Rejoice if/when he struggles trying to flip a toy over that weighs twice him. Be happy that he’s vigorously trying to crack that seed! These are not times to “rescue” or make things easier for him. You WANT that baby to struggle a bit at normal life things. That makes well adjusted adults!

Rejoice in him growing and learning!
That is a very good point!! Thank you for taking the time to write this. We probably have babied him some times when it really wasn’t necessary. But ok we’ll work on it. Thank u.