• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

is there any such thing as too big of a cage?

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
currently Leaf's cage is 32” W x 23” D x 69” H and the cage that I'm looking at for an upgrade is 42"W x 26"D x 5ft 10”H. the reason I want to upgrade is so that I can add more perches and toys to keep him entertained while I'm gone. the second cage would be from King's Cages as well but I just wondered if there was any such thing as a cage that's too big for a bird? the bird in question is a Sun Conure.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I have only ever had a problem with a cage being too big when (a) I didn't listen to the vet and keep my elderly Hachi in a smaller cage due to arthritis and (b) Gizmo a very fearful Hahns did much better in a smaller cage where she felt secure. I think if you have an average sunnie with energy and a normal background (no fear issues), you should be okay. They love to chew so lots of wood stations!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Aside from medical reasons, no. Even fearful birds have simply been taught that small is better somehow and eventually can overcome that.

Remember that these are animals that would fly dozens of miles if free. You updating the cage a few square feet is still a far cry from that.

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
I have only ever had a problem with a cage being too big when (a) I didn't listen to the vet and keep my elderly Hachi in a smaller cage due to arthritis and (b) Gizmo a very fearful Hahns did much better in a smaller cage where she felt secure. I think if you have an average sunnie with energy and a normal background (no fear issues), you should be okay. They love to chew so lots of wood stations!
@webchirp What size do you have the Hahns in? I just got a Hahns & we feel the cage is to big for him. I got him a 32x24 cage. Thanks

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I don't know if a cage can truley be too big, but I kind of wish I got a tad bit smaller cage for Blu. But only because he ONLY goes in there to sleep.

It's just harder to clean and reach in there. But I can't say it's a bad thing. Just makes it a little trickier. But I would encourage anyone who keeps a bird caged to get as big of a cage as possible.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Is there such thing as too big of a house? Not that I've ever seen. I might not be used to living in it but I can surely grow into any mansion.

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
Is there such thing as too big of a house? Not that I've ever seen. I might not be used to living in it but I can surely grow into any mansion.

I just laughed so hard at this :lol:

Aside from medical reasons, no. Even fearful birds have simply been taught that small is better somehow and eventually can overcome that.

Remember that these are animals that would fly dozens of miles if free. You updating the cage a few square feet is still a far cry from that.

what sort of health issues are you meaning? as far as I know, Leaf is fit (I mean, we have some things to work on but otherwise he's visually very healthy, has his flight, both legs, both eyes, etc).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
what sort of health issues are you meaning? as far as I know, Leaf is fit (I mean, we have some things to work on but otherwise he's visually very healthy, has his flight, both legs, both eyes, etc).

Ones where they aren't allowed to or can't move around a lot. Severe arthritis, atrophied limbs, etc.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The only thing I'd be worried about would be the bar spacing for that size of a cage, which is usually 1". That's too big for a sun conure I think.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The only thing I'd be worried about would be the bar spacing for that size of a cage, which is usually 1". That's too big for a sun conure I think.

Ahh yes. Bar spacing has to be appropriate!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Only if it comes with a maid!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
s
@webchirp What size do you have the Hahns in? I just got a Hahns & we feel the cage is to big for him. I got him a 32x24 cage. Thanks
@Mizzely what was the cage again? I know the bar spacing was almost an inch so you might want to be careful of small visitors who may climb on it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
s

@Mizzely what was the cage again? I know the bar spacing was almost an inch so you might want to be careful of small visitors who may climb on it.

34x24 for the AA Mediana. 7/8" bar spacing. Definitely not too big of a cage for a busy Hahns!

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
There's not really such a thing as too big a cage if you can get in to clean and change perches easily, your bird can get around in the cage comfortably, and the bar spacing is safe.
For a sun, I don't think you would want to go over 3/4", maybe 7/8" spacing for a larger sun, which does limit the cages you can use.