• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there an "average age"....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big.Green.Chicken

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
Larry was in a Frat house for awhile. The young men thought he'd be a "chick magnet".
You would be suprised, or maybe not. :(

pineview01

Rollerblading along the road
Saemma... I really believe it is innocent ignorance. Even most animal lovers don't have a clue about birds unless they have someone who has birds and has educated them. And, if the people/places that sell birds don't educate prospective owners, people are going to buy without knowing what's in store down the road -- until it's too late. People are often encouraged to get a bird or fish when they have busy schedules. How many times have you heard that suggestion from well-meaning dog and cat owners when they think someone shouldn't have a "pet" ??? Or, people who want "something" but think a bird is it because they have the idea a bird would require less responsibility?

Grrrrrrrrrrr! I could ramble on, but won't.
You were looking when I got my first big bird:hehe:

I know I shouldn't have been sold my B&G. A friends daughter was an •••. manager at the pet store and talked me into getting him. I was looking at a conure. The B&G was raised in a Detroit pet store, many issues, and after he turned 1 was transfered to her store. Than put on sale as they wanted to cut their loses after 1 yr.

I had no knowledge, had done no research and thought a bird would be less work than a dog. You don't have to worry about taking them out to go the bathroom after all when you are working 12 hours a day 7 days a week. RIGHT????????

Thank goodness for Sky I found a great parrot site with some wonderful bird smart people that got us thru it. I had almost taken Sky back to the store just before the 30 days was up.

Cody our U2 came to us as a three year old and we were his fourth home. He was plucking and I was told the lady that had him had two other plucked birds. But, I would guess he nailed her and she gave him back.

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You were looking when I got my first big bird:hehe:

I know I shouldn't have been sold my B&G. A friends daughter was an •••. manager at the pet store and talked me into getting him. I was looking at a conure. The B&G was raised in a Detroit pet store, many issues, and after he turned 1 was transfered to her store. Than put on sale as they wanted to cut their loses after 1 yr.

I had no knowledge, had done no research and thought a bird would be less work than a dog. You don't have to worry about taking them out to go the bathroom after all when you are working 12 hours a day 7 days a week. RIGHT????????

Thank goodness for Sky I found a great parrot site with some wonderful bird smart people that got us thru it. I had almost taken Sky back to the store just before the 30 days was up.

Cody our U2 came to us as a three year old and we were his fourth home. He was plucking and I was told the lady that had him had two other plucked birds. But, I would guess he nailed her and she gave him back.
Wow what a story!:eek:

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
When the "old" original Parrot Jungle was sold in the 1990's ,the new owners decided to relocate it to Miami Beach. The reasons were financial as the Pinecrest area made the land go over 2+ million per acre plus the neighborhood laws prevented parties after midnight. Thank goodness , the city of Pinecrest bought some of the land and keeps it as a park because the natural beauty is remarkable. Anyhow, after it was moved to Miami Beach, the Parrot Jungle started selling baby parrots in their gift shop! After a million protests they stopped the practice after many many, birds were sold. I've yet to visit the attraction because of my negative feelings towards commercialization. It's a shame because I loved the Old Parrot Jungle . My daughter, Rachel, was actually married there. Her wedding was filmed by Vogue and the flamingoes started honking right at the end of the ceremony.

Status
Not open for further replies.