• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there an "average age"....

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Eight of my 11 are rehomes or rescues....B and C were owned by a woman who kept them at a filthy pet store...she wanted to use them for breeding but they were near death. Tiki was someone's pet at one time...found flying in my neighborhood. Little Max was given up at about three years because the new hubby thought he was too noisy. My niece didn't have time for Kiwi anymore...Kiwi was three. Apollo was too loud, a screamer....he was only about a year old when given to my husband. When I had Big Max, he was about ten and they no longer had time for him. Chopper and Jade were given up do to a death in the family...their mommy....

so many reasons but we hear the same ones over and over....few people can make the committment it takes, IMO.

Jacob

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Herdis
the most common reason I read is "We can't give him/her enough time" this is usually the people that have had the bird for few months. Then there are the people that can't handle puberty.

Jacob is a rehome. He was 4 years old when I got him and I think he was first rehomed when he was 1 years old. After that he went from home to home and only stayed for few months at each place. We are his 5th home. I suspect that with Jacob it is the noise factor because he is LOUD. Although the reason stated by the guy that sold Jacob to me was allergies. He was the typical innocently ignorant person. He only fed Jacob seeds and gave him fruits and veggies as a treat. He and his girlfriend would leave every weekend and go out of the city. Leaving Jacob by himself, they just put plenty of seeds in his bowl. He felt that his cage was to small so Jacob would spend his days on his playstand. But it didn't occur to him to buy a bigger cage. He had been teaching Jacob how to headbang :rolleyes: When I talked to him he was obviously upset over selling Jacob and seemed to care a great deal for him. He just didn't know better and it didn't occur to him to try and educate himself because for him this is the way you care for a bird.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I think people underestimate how difficult it is to keep a parrot, and often have very false expectations that is not explained by breeder/seller/pet store. I agree it's innocent ignorance oftimes, because the average person would say to themselves, "how hard can it possibly be?!?!?" When they find out, and things are much more than they bargained for, the bird is out the door. Not many people are willing to commit to a major lifestyle change. I've known people to rehome them after a few weeks! And that's a lot better than sticking them in the closet.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Most of my pet birds have come to me because of owners death, job loss, or serious illness. These birds were all over 6 years old when they came to live with us. The rescue birds that come in are from various situations, but honestly, I have never had any relinquished for reasons of no time to care for them, too loud, too messy etc. Everytime I go to pick up a bird or one is brought to me, the owner is clearly upset and regretful for having to make a difficult decision for the sake of the bird. Now the confiscations??? That's a whole different story.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think for most larger species, the average age is 5 to 6 years, or as John mentioned, when the hormones kick in. People buy a baby, and they expect it to stay that way; then they are shocked when it doesn't. With the larger birds, particularly, this can end up meaning that the owner can no longer handle the bird. With large species one of the biggest factors in losing a home is the bird's natural instinct to pair off and mate. The bird chooses one member of a household and becomes aggressive toward rivals. Again, totally natural. Since most people want a "family pet" the bird no longer fits into the household. With smaller species the same problem might emerge, but it is much more easily managed with education and patience.

My Elvis was 5 when she was rehomed, and that is typical for a large macaw.

Zoe was rehomed at 14 months, which is unusual, but it happens. For a macaw, this is the "bratty" toddler phase, just testing boundaries. I have seen quite a few large macs being given up in the one to two year range, but 5-6 years is more common.

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
I really hear ya Carol.:)
These days with the internet, forums, libraries, avian vets etc..... my opinion is that there is no excuse for such innocent ignorance.:)
You would think, Saemma... but you have to know enough to check the internet, forums, libraries, etc... I won't comment any further on that -- I think you get the gist..... :rolleyes: For you, me, and the rest of us here, it's a no brainer. We wouldn't make a change in our current status without researching. Again, the ones who should, don't -- for whatever reason. :shrug:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
That parrots are given up, abandoned, neglected, put in the closet, etc...:(? :huh:

As John has said typically around sexual maturity.

I'm also wondering what are the typical reasons for doing this? I would doubt that people set out to do any of these things when they first introduced the parrot into their homes.:eek:
The typical reason are: screaming, biting, aggression, territorialness, being a velcro bird, etc

ALL of these could have been prevented very easily...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My opinion is that the majority of people who bring a bird into their home need to do much more research on that bird species so they know what they're in store for. This way they won't be wrongly influenced by cute birds in stores and other places nor by some of the people who are selling them or giving them away.

ABSOLUTELY.

And not just reading up and doing proper research, if they read BEHAVIORAL books BEFORE they even got the bird, they would start to understand (even before having a bird in their life!) what to look out for and how to prevent issues and everything.

People think they should get behavioral books or ask for help when there is a problem and not before hand.. people are so arrogant.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
I have seen many, many, re-homes at all ages for a huge variety of reasons. Most reasons boil down to lack of research and lack of committment.

I have a real hard time with anybody that re-homes an animal, any animal, because they are having a baby. IMO it is perfectly understandable to re-home say a Dog, that may be a danger to a child (and some are). Or a cat, rat, bird or any other animal because child is allergic or otherwise adversely affected healthwise. Your children must come first.

But, I have known many, many birds that lost their homes, because the owners were going to have or did have a baby. The reason being that there just wasn't enough time. The reality, again IMO, is that there is not enough committment.

I managed to (quite successfully, I might add) raise two children, keep several dogs and several birds. Both kids grew up, went to college, got good jobs and are well rounded, responsible adults. Dogs were always well behaved, well cared for, well exercised and much loved. Not only did I keep dogs, I bred, raised and showed them and in fact one of my dogs was ranked #4 in his breed in 1989. That takes time and committment, and at that time my kids were 9 and 14, so that was a real busy year for me, but I did it and nobody suffered. The birds, are still here, much loved, healthy, entertained, no pluckers, no screamers.

I also kept a clean home, clean kids, a husband and even worked most of the time.

It can be done, you just have to want to and be willing to do it.

Our society has become such a disposable society, with little consideration or regard for the end result. It is just far too easy to obtain something on impulse, play with it until bored and then toss it away. Very, very sad for those "things" that are living, breathing beings.

Last edited:

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I saw an ad today offering a Budgie and cage for $50...reason...the little girl now wants a puppy...Grrrr. I wonder if the parents realize what they're teaching their daughter.

Chewy

Real Name
Erin
We've certainly run the gamut of usual problems that everybody talks about. Nobody has read and researched more than I have and I feel I've acquired the patience of a petrified stump. It's going to take an awful lot to rattle my cage at this point.

Plus I'm old, stubborn and never give up.
That is a great way to be........old, stubborn and never give up. So many birds are given up on.I hope when the time comes, I can be stubborn like you and never give up. I don't plan on giving Chewy up so don't worry bout that. You are like one of my mentors!!!!!!!!Whether or not you know it

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Your much too kind Erin!! :hug8:

Our society has become such a disposable society, with little consideration or regard for the end result. It is just far too easy to obtain something on impulse, play with it until bored and then toss it away. Very, very sad for those "things" that are living, breathing beings.
Not to mention the more than 50% divorce rate. People even dispose of each other. A marriage contract is a farce to most people.

The contract reads "through good and bad, thick and thin till death do us part" or something like that!!! :D

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The contract reads "through good and bad, thick and thin till death do us part" or something like that!!! :D
Yah, tell that to my ex-husband, John. I think his copy read "till *blonde* do us part." :huh:

Anyhow, yeah, that's one of the reasons someone would have to pry Elvis out of my cold, dead hands. Anyone who heard her calling for her ex-owner the first few weeks I had her would have known the true meaning of bereavement.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
My impression is that there are three 'waves' of birds getting rehomed. One is the babies and birds new to homes that are in search of a new one within a few months to a year because the people didn't know what they were in for. Then there are the birds getting rehomed when they hit puberty and the 'perfect' baby disappears. Then there are the 15+ year old birds who have typically older homes that due to health issues cannot care for them any longer.

I bought Sand, but Peter Pan (RIP), Spray (RIP), Salt, Seafoam, and Sun came to me as rehomes at less than a year of age (one stray, one due to a baby, one due to a puppy, one no-time, and one no money for a busted wing). Kelp was 4 and the people had 'upgraded' to a conure, Jasper's previous owner was aging and having trouble keeping up with him, and Luke was born at my house, and fate willing, will never know another home.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
My opinion is that the majority of people who bring a bird into their home need to do much more research on that bird species so they know what they're in store for. This way they won't be wrongly influenced by cute birds in stores and other places nor by some of the people who are selling them or giving them away.
I agree.

Gigi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vickie
I may have been one of those people who bought my budgies on impulse. :o:
But I'm not one of those people who takes responsibility lightly. When I realized the mistakes I was making with my budgies (too small cage, all seed diet, etc), I knew I had to do better by them. They are eating mash as we speak, sitting in a huge flight cage with a boing and natural wood perches and toys.

We may have gotten off on the wrong foot, but it has been a wonderful experience and I wouldn't give them up for anything! I think some allowances need to be made for people, just because birds are a bit of a unique area in the world of domestic animals, and there is a learning curve. Of course, most people get in over there heads and give up, but there are some people who do take responsibility, and learn from it!

I try to take excellent care of every animal under my care, and I hope to have more birds in the future (once I've accumulated more experience). Right now I'm trying to stay in contact with breeders and rescuers in my area, and to learn what I can from them.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I agree with everyone else. People buy babies, expecting them to act the same way as they grow up. They hit sexual maturity and their natural instincts and urges take over. The bird starts biting, becoming frustrated, and people don't know how to handle it. I remember breaking down in tears the first time Kei bit me. I took it personally and thought that he was going to start hating me all the time and biting me all the time, etc. I wasn't prepared. After volunteering at the rescue I've learned not to take any aggression personally. That is just their way of communicating with us.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
My Blue Crown Conure was given up at the approx age of 8, after being rehomed 6 times in 7 years. I was his 8th and final home. No one really knew the exact age of Larry since he was passed around so much. He is now approx 22 years old. I got my YNA when he was 2, the owner had several other large birds and supposedly didn't have the time for Max :( My other two I got as babies and they are with me for life. Yes, birds are at times messy, noisey, change their allegiances, hormonal, territorial, expensive, time consuming, etc. Would you give up your child for any of these reasons? Heck no! Granted, their were times when my daughters were teenagers I would have gladly shipped them off to grandpa or boarding school for a little behavioral adjustments, just kidding. We really do live in a 'me' oriented, disposable society and it makes me sick at heart. Nothing is permanent anymore. The word and actions of "commitment" are almost obsolete now. It is sad and frustrating.

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
I think it also depends on where your rescue is. It never fails that ones near a college get the birds when people get their degree, transfer, graduate, etc. There is often nothing wrong with the animals other then the students are leaving and not taking them with them.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Anna, funny that you mentioned it college, Larry was in a Frat house for awhile. The young men thought he'd be a "chick magnet".

Status
Not open for further replies.