• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there an "average age"....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That parrots are given up, abandoned, neglected, put in the closet, etc...:(? :huh: I'm also wondering what are the typical reasons for doing this? I would doubt that people set out to do any of these things when they first introduced the parrot into their homes.:eek:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It usually happens not long after puberty/adulthood when the hormones start to rage, the birds starts to get aggressive out of frustration or simply doing what's natural which is to look for a mate and drive off intruders/competition. Different species reach that age at different times.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It usually happens not long after puberty/adulthood when the hormones start to rage, the birds starts to get aggressive out of frustration or simply doing what's natural which is to look for a mate and drive off intruders/competition.
Thanks John. Would you say that you've "experienced" all the facets of Tiki and would be able to handle any future "behaviours" that come your way?:huh:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
My opinion is that the majority of people who bring a bird into their home need to do much more research on that bird species so they know what they're in store for. This way they won't be wrongly influenced by cute birds in stores and other places nor by some of the people who are selling them or giving them away.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My opinion is that the majority of people who bring a bird into their home need to do much more research on that bird species so they know what they re in store for. This way they won't be wrongly influenced by cute birds in stores and other places nor by some of the people who are selling them or giving them away.
Very true...many parrots are sold in petshops simply because the human can "afford" to pay the ticket price.:eek: There should be some kind of questionnaire that they must fill out which might make them think twice before purchasing the pet or parrot.;)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Thanks John. Would you say that you've "experienced" all the facets of Tiki and would be able to handle any future "behaviours" that come your way?:huh:
We've certainly run the gamut of usual problems that everybody talks about. Nobody has read and researched more than I have and I feel I've acquired the patience of a petrified stump. It's going to take an awful lot to rattle my cage at this point.

Plus I'm old, stubborn and never give up.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
My opinion is that the majority of people who bring a bird into their home need to do much more research on that bird species so they know what they're in store for. This way they won't be wrongly influenced by cute birds in stores and other places nor by some of the people who are selling them or giving them away.
I agree with this. I also believe that that good breeders will mentor and educate people and also look for homes for their babies that are going to be permanent and responsible and not just sell to anyone who will buy.

I see all sorts of birds around here (SF Bay Area) on CL that are only like 6 or 7 months old. I mean, they are still babies, and they say "he doesn't get the time he deserves", or "we are moving" and I just think, did you not think about that before you got the bird just a couple of months ago?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We've certainly run the gamut of usual problems that everybody talks about. Nobody has read and researched more than I have and I feel I've acquired the patience of a petrified stump. It's going to take an awful lot to rattle my cage at this point.

Plus I'm old, stubborn and never give up.
You're awesome!:hug8::rofl::hug8:

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
Saemma... I really believe it is innocent ignorance. Even most animal lovers don't have a clue about birds unless they have someone who has birds and has educated them. And, if the people/places that sell birds don't educate prospective owners, people are going to buy without knowing what's in store down the road -- until it's too late. People are often encouraged to get a bird or fish when they have busy schedules. How many times have you heard that suggestion from well-meaning dog and cat owners when they think someone shouldn't have a "pet" ??? Or, people who want "something" but think a bird is it because they have the idea a bird would require less responsibility?

Grrrrrrrrrrr! I could ramble on, but won't.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saemma... I really believe it is innocent ignorance. Even most animal lovers don't have a clue about birds unless they have someone who has birds and has educated them. And, if the people/places that sell birds don't educate prospective owners, people are going to buy without knowing what's in store down the road -- until it's too late. People are often encouraged to get a bird or fish when they have busy schedules. How many times have you heard that suggestion from well-meaning dog and cat owners when they think someone shouldn't have a "pet" ??? Or, people who want "something" but think a bird is it because they have the idea a bird would require less responsibility?

Grrrrrrrrrrr! I could ramble on, but won't.

I really hear ya Carol.:)
These days with the internet, forums, libraries, avian vets etc..... my opinion is that there is no excuse for such innocent ignorance.:)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
It usually happens not long after puberty/adulthood when the hormones start to rage, the birds starts to get aggressive out of frustration or simply doing what's natural which is to look for a mate and drive off intruders/competition. Different species reach that age at different times.
Tired of mess..TO LOUD...destroying my house...

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I agree with this. I also believe that that good breeders will mentor and educate people and also look for homes for their babies that are going to be permanent and responsible and not just sell to anyone who will buy.

I see all sorts of birds around here (SF Bay Area) on CL that are only like 6 or 7 months old. I mean, they are still babies, and they say "he doesn't get the time he deserves", or "we are moving" and I just think, did you not think about that before you got the bird just a couple of months ago?

but sometimes a move comes out out of the blue unexpected

I was never planning on moving from the house I lived in into December 2007 until both my kids were out of collage Even if I moved then.

September 2008 rolled around - and we got hit with a lot of rain, the roof started leaking in my daughters room, told my landlord. he said "we'll fix it in the spring" Um no its leaking on my daughters bed NO matter where put it you'll fix it now, he kept hem hauling , then the middle of September came and MY bed was being rained on - I don't mean a little drip here and there like my daughters, I was going in of a night to big wet spots all over my bed, my floor my dresser

he refused to fix it until spring - so I had the inspector come out and do a "complaint inspection" he still refused to fix it So I had 2 weeks to find a new place to live I was packed and out and in my house I live in now by Oct ST 2008

I got very lucky to find a house that allowed pets,Every one I looked into was either no pets no matter what or a enormous pet deposit that there was no way in the world I would of been able to pay for IF I would of had to take one of those places Yes I would of had to get rid of all my birds and my dog and I'd gotten new birds and my dog not long before I had to move

now if he would of fixed the roof I'd still be there and I wouldn't be complaning that my rooms are too small, I can't hang toys from the ceiling any more (my land lord was also my b/fs good friend )

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Our rescue group cites 5 yrs as the average home life of a parrot.

Good thing I have had Eko and Mojo 8 and Diego going on 5. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tired of mess..TO LOUD...destroying my house...

Yes... I guess the daily mess and the never ending cleaning must get old very quickly for alot of people.:rolleyes:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

Dotty, are all of your fids rehomes?:huh:
Yeah, except my daughter's bird. All came to me sick too :(
Newman, yeast and pneumonia
Kiwi, seizures (I didn't know that till later)
Jamie, near dead
This Little Kiwi/Betsy Lou has sores and may have something else we are waiting on tests
Bea, so so sick.

I wouldn't have it any other way, I love them all, they came to me as adults but MY babies :heart:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, except my daughter's bird. All came to me sick too :(
Newman, yeast and pneumonia
Kiwi, seizures (I didn't know that till later)
Jamie, near dead
This Little Kiwi/Betsy Lou has sores and may have something else we are waiting on tests
Bea, so so sick.

I wouldn't have it any other way, I love them all, they came to me as adults but MY babies :heart:
:hug8: Wow! What a big generous heart you have!! :heart:

Faen

Hit the Road
Probably around maturity when their emotions and true personalities come out. So i geuss it varies with each species as each species matures at a different age.

Status
Not open for further replies.