• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there a way to protect rope perches?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm trying to think of the best way to protect rope perches. The flexibility and double, slotted ends make them perfect for specific applications, such as around Luv Bug's food bowl or across Buzzard's playstand, but lately our fool birds have really taken to shredding them. :bored: Not only am I constantly having to check & trim them to make sure they're still safe, but we're starting to burn through quite a few perches. I fell like I'm having to order them more and more frequently. :shocked5:

I was thinking of either vet wrapping them from end to end or making a sleeve of some kind from no-pill fleece to cover them, but I'm not super great at sewing and that might be kind of difficult to slip on if it's made snugly enough.

Or if anyone knows how to rework them with rope (and where to get said rope) I'm open to that. I just can't think of how to re-attach the end pieces except with hot glue & I'm not sure that would be sturdy enough. :shrug3:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I'm trying to think of the best way to protect rope perches. The flexibility and double, slotted ends make them perfect for specific applications, such as around Luv Bug's food bowl or across Buzzard's playstand, but lately our fool birds have really taken to shredding them. :bored: Not only am I constantly having to check & trim them to make sure they're still safe, but we're starting to burn through quite a few perches. I fell like I'm having to order them more and more frequently. :shocked5:

I was thinking of either vet wrapping them from end to end or making a sleeve of some kind from no-pill fleece to cover them, but I'm not super great at sewing and that might be kind of difficult to slip on if it's made snugly enough.

Or if anyone knows how to rework them with rope (and where to get said rope) I'm open to that. I just can't think of how to re-attach the end pieces except with hot glue & I'm not sure that would be sturdy enough. :shrug3:
Every Sunday when BScoot is caged for two hours cleaning —this yesterday

E32E9680-E31A-4C12-81A2-CDAEF62594F2.jpeg

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I have a thought. You could wrap the rope perch with 1/4 inch twisted sisal rope. It would be extra thick, but it would still be flexible. The birds could safely chew and shred for quite a while before they hit rope. You'd just need to figure out a good way to secure the end of the sisal.

Sisal Rope

TinyDino

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Holly
I saw someone, might have been on Instagram, that vet wrapped a rope boing. It looked awesome because they made it a rainbow.

I've made my own rope perch and boing by doing a 4 strand braid of non-pill fleece strips around a wire core. I added leaf embellishments but that's totally optional. You could probably unwrap the rope and do something similar. But even non-pill fleece safety is debated. So I'm only using the perch and boing I made outside the cage where it'll be supervised.

I'm probably going to use the vet wrap method on a boing at some point. I love the color customization options it allows. And I'd feel safer using it in the cage unless my bird shows a propensity for chewing vet wrap.

Attachments

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I have a thought. You could wrap the rope perch with 1/4 inch twisted sisal rope. It would be extra thick, but it would still be flexible. The birds could safely chew and shred for quite a while before they hit rope. You'd just need to figure out a good way to secure the end of the sisal.

Sisal Rope
Great idea! 15 (1).gif Wrap the rope perch with a different, safer kind of rope! I'll try that & probably tie it off in sections so I only have to re-wrap their favorite parts. :yes4:

TinyDino

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Holly
Oh...and I wouldn't sew a sleeve especially if you aren't great at sewing. The threads of the seams could pose a hazard.

I have used KAM Snaps and non-pill fleece to make things though. No threads involved. But you'd have to acquire a snap press or snap pliers and the snaps. They're super fun and useful for other things but I understand not everyone has the same weakness for craft supplies that I do. Lol

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I've made my own rope perch and boing by doing a 4 strand braid of non-pill fleece strips around a wire core.
Brilliant! Even I could do that. Maybe. I've never been able to do a 4 strand braid in my life, but this might be a good time to make myself learn! How'd you do the ends?

I added leaf embellishments
It looks great! How did you do that? :wideyed:

Not everyone has the same weakness for craft supplies that I do.
Luv Bug does. She'd love it if I used snaps. :cautious: Especially if I went through a lot of trouble to put them on.

TinyDino

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Holly
Brilliant! Even I could do that. Maybe. I've never been able to do a 4 strand braid in my life, but this might be a good time to make myself learn! How'd you do the ends?
I just knotted them and let the ends dangle with the leaves. And I'd never done a 4 strand braid either. But I followed a visual tutorial from a paracord craft website and it was simple!

It looks great! How did you do that? :wideyed:
I cut out stem and leaf shapes along a folded edge to make two leaves attached at the stem. That way I could just braid over the "mono-stem" and have pairs of leaves hanging down.

Luv Bug does. She'd love it if I used snaps. :cautious: Especially if I went through a lot of trouble to put them on.
:lol:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'll start with vet wrap on the ends of the one that arrived today, but I definitely want to try the braided fleece. If I can make a perch, maybe I can figure out brings or atoms! :excited1:

ya’ll have real birds. I am talking parrotlets and Pionus.
Don't sell 'em short. We've all heard stories of how fierce parrotlets are. :scared5: Didn't they use a flock of them in The Croods?
tenor.gif
Imagine what they could do to a perch. :scared2:

Last edited:

TinyDino

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Holly
If I can make a perch, maybe I can figure out brings or atoms! :excited1:
Atoms are super easy!!! I made one with two 14 inch embroidery hoops, zip ties, and anti-pill fleece. I didn't even braid, just wrapped and tied. Just make sure you burn cut edges of zip ties so the ends are melty instead of sharp.

I used two inner hoops and one outer hoop. So I have a leftover outer for making into something else some day.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Atoms are super easy!!! I made one with two 14 inch embroidery hoops, zip ties, and anti-pill fleece. I didn't even braid, just wrapped and tied. Just make sure you burn cut edges of zip ties so the ends are melty instead of sharp.

I used two inner hoops and one outer hoop. So I have a leftover outer for making into something else some day.
Can I ask what is the largest bird you have and how has your gorgeous atom held up to the largest beak?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Can I ask what is the largest bird you have and how has your gorgeous atom held up to the largest beak?
I was thinking of using flexible pvc as a base for an atom so it would be thicker & I could make larger hoops. And I've also wondered if I could use some to make a flexible perch & re-use the end pieces of a discarded rope perch. :chin:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thanks for the vet wrap suggestions @saroj12. I ended up wrapping the ends with some until my Bonka Bird Toys order came in. I ordered a large Twist Fluff to wrap around the end Bug chews the most and twisted that over the vet wrap. So far it seems to be working! Now I need to order about 3 more of these for other rope perches or just get creative and just make perches and boings out of fleece with pieces sticking out like @TinyDino.
1617315122689.png

I wonder if my step daughter and her young hands would be so inclined for a fee if I provided materials. :chin:

TinyDino

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Holly
Thanks for the vet wrap suggestions @saroj12. I ended up wrapping the ends with some until my Bonka Bird Toys order came in. I ordered a large Twist Fluff to wrap around the end Bug chews the most and twisted that over the vet wrap. So far it seems to be working! Now I need to order about 3 more of these for other rope perches or just get creative and just make perches and boings out of fleece with pieces sticking out like @TinyDino.
I just want to make clear that my fleece items are made with no-pill fleece and are used outside of the cage only, so that use can be supervised. Some avian vets still have concerns about even anti-pill fleece. So in the future I’ll probably not use it again.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
View attachment 377919

I wonder if my step daughter and her young hands would be so inclined for a fee if I provided materials. :chin:
An offer she can’t refuse! :cool: Have fun and earn money!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
i vet wrap mine. did with Sweet Pea and now with Bebe.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@TinyDino

:jillone:

Not only great thoughts in this thread but WARNING folks that no pil fleece needs to be monitored and could, perhaps, be dangerous.

Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Thank you.