• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there a way to prevent poop in a bird bath?

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
Almost everyday I give my birds a bird bath but they always poop in it.. So is there a way to prevent this?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Where is the bath located? Is it below any perches?

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Then I think the key is frequent water changes.

If it is under a perch, it will get poop in it. Just a matter of time. If you are offering daily baths, you can put it in for an hour or less. Take it out when/if it is fouled.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Buy a bird bath that hangs on the side of the cage or fits in the open door space, other than that you can simply put the bath on the floor where there’s no perch over it.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
What size is your cage? How many perches are in there? What are you using for a bath?

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
What size is your cage? How many perches are in there? What are you using for a bath?
Sadly, my cage is pretty small ( please don't give negative comments ) We are looking forward to get a cage at LEAST 18x18x18. So there are 2 soon 3 perches and I'm using a plastic bowl as a bath.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It’s going to be impossible to not get poop in a bird bath that’s inside a small cage- you either need to not offer sufficient food dishes, toys and perches or just deal with having to clean the bath out more frequently. I’d take the second option obviously.
It doesn’t sound like there’s really enough room in there for a bath so the sooner you upgrade your cage to a suitable sized one the sooner your birds can have everything they should have and a poop free bathing place.

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
It’s going to be impossible to not get poop in a bird bath that’s inside a small cage- you either need to not offer sufficient food dishes, toys and perches or just deal with having to clean the bath out more frequently. I’d take the second option obviously.
It doesn’t sound like there’s really enough room in there for a bath so the sooner you upgrade your cage to a suitable sized one the sooner your birds can have everything they should have and a poop free bathing place.
Ok thanks. I will try my best to upgrade my cage.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sadly, my cage is pretty small ( please don't give negative comments ) We are looking forward to get a cage at LEAST 18x18x18. So there are 2 soon 3 perches and I'm using a plastic bowl as a bath.
Is this 18inches or 18cms? Both are still very small cages for full time living...

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I would just let my birds take a bath outside of the cage.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
18 X 18 X 30 is the generally recommended minimum cage size for finches. If you look for the term "breeder cages" you should find many choices that can be at quite low prices.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "once I tame them". I am assuming you mean getting them comfortable to go on your hands? Zebra finches are tiny, flighty birds. They may or may not ever become "tame" by that measure, but they should still have the ability/space to fly. A cage that is the above size is the minimum size to give them space to fly around. If you do choose to let them out in a closed room, they will often get themselves back into the cage to eat after an hour or so. I actually don't know of anyone who has trained finches to come to a hand to return to their cage. (Is there anyone on here who has done it? Would be very curious to hear!)

Reactions: tka

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
18 X 18 X 30 is the generally recommended minimum cage size for finches. If you look for the term "breeder cages" you should find many choices that can be at quite low prices.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "once I tame them". I am assuming you mean getting them comfortable to go on your hands? Zebra finches are tiny, flighty birds. They may or may not ever become "tame" by that measure, but they should still have the ability/space to fly. A cage that is the above size is the minimum size to give them space to fly around. If you do choose to let them out in a closed room, they will often get themselves back into the cage to eat after an hour or so. I actually don't know of anyone who has trained finches to come to a hand to return to their cage. (Is there anyone on here who has done it? Would be very curious to hear!)
Ok. (By the way my finches are in the middle of the taming process)