• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there a safe, low-stress way to catch and towel a budgie in a large cage or aviary?

rosemary

Strolling the yard
My personal mini hell is also trying to get them in their travel cage. I dont want to catch and put them in it either. The last time we went, I tried to trick them into it with some millet, but being their smart selves, they knew what millet next to the travel cage meant and ended up flying away.

I had to chase them in their flight cage, it makes me so uncomfortable, but I'd rather have a slightly stressful vet visit, then none :).

Wish you and your birdies the best:hug8:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you @rosemary. It’s what had to be done. Now I’ve got 8 months until their next well visit to work on this!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Conurefan I don’t chase them at all on a regular basis, but if I have to get them to the vet, I have no choice. They are not yet tame enough for me to ask them to step up onto my finger and then step onto the perch of their travel carrier. I wish! And it is something I’m working toward. At the moment, they are doing well with recall training, and I can get them to step onto my finger. But as soon as they realize I’m moving them to their carrier, they fly back to their flight cage.

KIWICHERIE

Strolling the yard
@Conurefan I don’t chase them at all on a regular basis, but if I have to get them to the vet, I have no choice. They are not yet tame enough for me to ask them to step up onto my finger and then step onto the perch of their travel carrier. I wish! And it is something I’m working toward. At the moment, they are doing well with recall training, and I can get them to step onto my finger. But as soon as they realize I’m moving them to their carrier, they fly back to their flight cage.
[/QUOTE ok if you need help to tame your bird here’s the video I watched to tame my birds I hope this helps!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Well, that was the usual rodeo. I’m sitting in my car at the vets while the boys have their psittacosis test. I can’t catch them using my hands when they are in the flight cage. They are too fast, and there is too much room. So, I have to net them when they are holding on to the side of the cage. I hate doing it. Hate, hate, hate it!!! But, it gets the job done. And they were given plenty of treats once in their travel cage.

We have a lot of work to do, and trust to be regained so that they will voluntarily go where I ask them.
I asked that question a LOT when I first got to AA (if there was a stress free way to catch them in an emergency). I know what you mean about hating catching them. I hate it too, and have only had to really handle mine if they were in danger (Fi got her foot stuck in a ball with holes in it once, and Ferg got his toenail trapped in a tennis shoe shoestring)!
I tried to be calm, not to panic them, so I was at least talking very monotonously and slowly. It didn't seem to change their demeanor by the next day - I don't think they actually 'forgot'... just that they were not thinking about it, if that makes sense.

KIWICHERIE

Strolling the yard
I asked that question a LOT when I first got to AA (if there was a stress free way to catch them in an emergency). I know what you mean about hating catching them. I hate it too, and have only had to really handle mine if they were in danger (Fi got her foot stuck in a ball with holes in it once, and Ferg got his toenail trapped in a tennis shoe shoestring)!
I tried to be calm, not to panic them, so I was at least talking very monotonously and slowly. It didn't seem to change their demeanor by the next day - I don't think they actually 'forgot'... just that they were not thinking about it, if that makes sense.
Same my parrot once got stuck in my hair it looked like he didn’t remember but he just wasn’t thinking about it

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I get what you guys mean. I'm hopeful that our training can advance ahead of their next 'event' so that it won't be so stressful for all of us!