• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there a house paint that's safer for the fids?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I want to repaint the Old World bird room because the current grey-blue makes it look small and dark, and I'm wondering about the safety of painting in the house with the birds here. Obviously Kraz and Kamara would be temporarily moved into another room while the paint is being applied and as it dries, but is there still a danger to the fids from a distance? Is there a house paint that's considered safer?

Also, is there a non-toxic house paint? Kamara likes to mess with the walls, and on the off chance that she were able to chip a piece off and potentially ingest it, I don't want her getting zinc poisoning.

Help me please, I know nothing about any paint that isn't oils or acrylic! :D

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
How Low-VOC Paint Works | HowStuffWorks

I will only use these in the house. I have used before, but all birds rooms were closed, bottom of doors had towels covering the opening and windows open.

It dries very fast and there is no odor.

Or, put them outside in travel cages while you paint.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Been doing some painting in the bath, laundry , and hall. Using low voc latex on walls and low voc oil on the wood. Have kept cheeky in kitchen with living room in between with all doors closed. Opened windows with fans in each end of house. Gaps under doors stuffed up..airing house out a couple of days each painting session before opening up the doors. She's doing just fine, no problems. Oh, and I turn air conditioning off so it doesn't spread the fumes into kitchen. Yeah, it's really hot though.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Painted rooms in my previous house with low-VOC paint. I still took precautions - moving into other rooms, doors closed, entire house well-ventilated - but had zero problems whatsoever.

I think ECOS paints is a low/no-VOC paint that many people here recommend. They can be quite pricey, though.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I believe ECO has no VOC

I posted about it ages back but can’t quite remember if it was totally free (I think it was)

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you everybirdy! I'll be sure to get me some low/no VOC paint, and make sure the house is heavily ventilated. :) I'm excited to have a bright bird room!