• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is There A Chance of Socializing A Pair Of Lovebirds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dharmawaits

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kari
Hi!

I work at a rescue center for birds. Currently we have a pair of lovebirds who are of course strongly bonded and came from a environment where they where not handled by humans for six years (I doubt they ever have been handled by humans). The deal is they are going to continue to be passed by for a forever home if they can't interact with humans at all. AND there are so many birds the little's get passed by quite a bit when it comes to socializing. Its tough to not walk on by when Mr. charismatic Macaw is letting you know his name is Tyler.

I want to take these two on. They are so gorgeous and deserve a new home. Is there any chance I can get them to enjoy at least limited human interaction or is it a lost cause? And if I did take them on, do you have any tips with a pair. Or is it just like a single. Tons of talking and getting to know each other. If you think it will never happen, well I guess we keep trying to find that special person who doesn't mind. But dang I want them to be happy and well adjusted with a human flock! Thanks for any info. I really appreciate it. :heart:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Its never a lost cause, you will need patience, alot of time talking, cooing and moving very slowly with them. They have a much better chance if someone like you works with them, rather than be thrown into a cage or aviary and never loved on.:hug8:

JackDele

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
Jackie was very fearful of people when I got him and now he's a cuddlebug (tho not with people he doesnt know). It did take a lot of time but it's so rewarding in the end. Just spend time in the same room with them to begin with. Dont pay attention to them and dont stare. Once they're more comfortable, you can move a little closer. Then you can put treats in their cage, one by one. Then try offering by hand. Slow and steady is key. Do we get to see pictures? :)

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I have no advice so I am bumping this for you.. :)

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I had a very bonded pair of lovebirds that were breeders for 90% of their lives. With time the female actually really enjoyed human interaction. The male was never too keen on it. He'd sit with you if his girlfriend was there too but he really was scared of people. My female was awesome tho, she was a lot of fun

Dharmawaits

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kari
Thanks guys! I got all the time in the world so i'll go super slow. And sure! I'll take some pictures, they are beautiful. But really aren't all Lovebirds??!! :heart:

Feather

Avenue Veteran
I love lovebirds. :cloud9: My Finbar, formerly an aviary bird and very wild, is slowly warming up to interacting with me. It certainly helps that he gets a ton of peer pressure from Ani and Star, but I don't think the pair you're considering would be lost causes. Good luck! :D And thanks for giving those two lovies a chance.

Marc

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marco
I believe who really loves the birds, he doesn't mind if they are tamed or not;
I know a pet is funnier than a wild bird, it's normal, but I deem that the persons (that take care of birds only for the fact that the parrots are tamed) are very selfish rather than bird lovers;
So I hope your birds can find a good home and a good owner without that they are compelled to become circus animals for being accepted and loved;

Dharmawaits

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kari
I believe who really loves the birds, he doesn't mind if they are tamed or not;
I know a pet is funnier than a wild bird, it's normal, but I deem that the persons (that take care of birds only for the fact that the parrots are tamed) are very selfish rather than bird lovers;
So I hope your birds can find a good home and a good owner without that they are compelled to become circus animals for being accepted and loved;
Really Marc? So your telling me its better that birds rip out their feathers and put holes in their bodies because they are so drastically unhappy And why are they unhappy? Because they are not part of a flock. THATS the reality in shelters. I guess we should let them all continue to be wild versus "taming." them. I'm sure when they die from bodily harm and I swear sometimes they die from a broken heart, I can feel good in the knowledge I certainly did not make them a circus animal! The fact is in shelters there will always be a super cute cockatiel doing a wolf whistle and a macaw screaming, "I LOVE YOU!" While these two sweet lovebirds huddle in a corner wondering what they did to deserve being in such a loud chaotic place. OR maybe I could work with them and see if they might like to be part of everything they see around them. I think I'm going with door number two but thanks for your opinion on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.