• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is the smell of toothpaste harmful to birds?

LunaM

Checking out the neighborhood
I know birds have sensitive respiratory systems and scented stuff can kill them. I have been seeing a lot of videos on Youtube with people brushing their teeth with their birds on their shoulder or with their birds nearby, and I was wondering if the scent of toothpaste is harmful to birds? I tried looking it up but could not find any answer to this question.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not exactly sure. I've brushed my teeth over my sink while Buddy has been on the toilet on his basket. It didn't seem to bother him or his respiration. I only do it every few months when he's having a "I must be w/ my human" moments. He's a medium sized parrot. (Amazon)

Welcome to AA! It's really great that you are checking into your fids care. I'm sorry I'm not more help!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The simplest answer is likely that we don't know.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Horse pucky. No more dangerous than smelling your hot black coffee or that garlic pasta cooking on the stove. Paranoia can start to become a dangerous thing.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Horse pucky. No more dangerous than smelling your hot black coffee or that garlic pasta cooking on the stove. Paranoia can start to become a dangerous thing.
Yea, & around here it can become contagious ;)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If this concerns you look for a plain white tooth paste like Toms.
Mouth wash is useless because many of them destroy the natural flora of your mouth.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I think it's the opposite with toothpaste. The menthol will clear their breathing because it's often contain menthol.
Smell with your nose yourself and you will see.
But! If they are on your shoulder toothbrushing can splash, and they should not eat or swallow it. That is the only dangerous I see with toothpaste.
And you don't need to brush with a "poison" toothpaste. I'm using Aloe Vera, and once a day I rinse with a fluorine solution instead.