• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is the Hyacinth plant flower scent dangerous for my parakeets & finches?

Lavender

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lynn Dee
I just purchased a gorgeous purple Hyacinth plant and the scent is very strong. I put it on my kitchen window sill with the window open. The 4 birds are in my florida room in the back of the condo. I am desperately looking for expert advise if I should leave it in the condo or plant it outside (but it's too cold out). It is more important to keep my 4 feathered friends safe than the Hyacinth perishing in the cold outside. I've done research on this but it does not say anything about the scent only regards to the birds or cats etc disgesting them. My birds don't eat anything but what I feed them. They are not near the plant but I don't want to take an chances. Pretty please would someone give me some knowledge.
God Be With You.
Lavender the Bird Lover

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There seems to be little to no information about the effect of flower scent on birds. I searched a little, but maybe you need to do a thorough internet search on this subject.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Not really sure about the answer.

Hyacinth bulbs are considered toxic because they contain oxalic acid. This substance is most concentrated in the bulb but is also present in other parts of the flower, including the flower petals. Just touching the bulb with bare hands can cause skin irritation. Eating a small amount will cause upset stomach in humans.

As for the fragrance, it is quite potent but unrelated to the compound that makes the plant toxic to touch or eat.

"Three compounds are particular contributors to the scent of hyacinth. Ocimenol has a scent described as fresh and citrusy, whilst cinnamyl alcohol has a balsamic odour. Another compound, ethyl 2-methoxybenzoate, adds a floral, fruity aspect to the scent."

Strong odors can cause headaches or irritate the eyes or nose of sensitive people. It is possible that birds would be similarly affected if the flower smell is quite strong and contained indoors. In smaller amounts, it might be just fine.

Personally, I would not recommend keeping hyacinth in the same room as the birds or in a room they have access to. Even if the fragrance doesn't bother them, the risk of them touching or eating the plant would worry me.