• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Is that a splayed leg ???

Trad_alwak

Moving in
Hi everyone,
I have this baby quaker (34 days) and I’m wondering if he’s having a splayed legs ? Or that’s their normal standing in this age ?
He can walk on the carpet and any rough surface but the legs separates a little bit and become wide but he can walk for a distance with no problems, only on smooth surface his legs become wider and wider but he can walk also
Pls help me ASAP

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :)

I am not sure... But if I saw my lovebird chicks like this then yes, splayed, but not too badly, could maybe be fixed with some tape. Though I am not knowledgable with larger birds. Maybe @Laurie could give her thoughts.

Trad_alwak

Moving in
Welcome to the Avenue :)

I am not sure... But if I saw my lovebird chicks like this then yes, splayed, but not too badly, could maybe be fixed with some tape. Though I am not knowledgable with larger birds. Maybe @Laurie could give her thoughts.

Thanks Zara !
But I’m wondering if ,by any chance, could it be due to his weight on his weak legs?
Because he’s a little bit heavy and bigger than other quakers and he was not walking when he was with the previous owner.
I’m just hoping if he continue to walk like for 2 weeks his legs muscles can be stronger to lift his body

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You can also use foam to make a brace, it holds his legs right so the muscles form properly. You can't keep it on all the time though.

Trad_alwak

Moving in
You can also use foam to make a brace, it holds his legs right so the muscles form properly. You can't keep it on all the time though.
Someone told Me that it could compromise the blood supply to the legs and lead to serious complications

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
It is difficult to say for sure. If he can walk normally on a surface that provides traction then he probably is okay or only has a slight issue. When he sits or sleeps how do his legs position? If he keeps them pulled in normally then he is probably fine.

I have noticed that sometimes when it is only a slight problem it does tend to get worse. I do not think there is any harm in using a proper brace to correct it. If it's done properly there is no issue with blood supply. Now is the time to fix it. The younger the bird is the faster it will correct. I don't think the sponge method works well on larger birds.

For my caiques I use vet tape or coflex, it is not sticky but it sticks to itself. I make bracelets for each leg and then tie them together with another piece going between them.

Trad_alwak

Moving in
It is difficult to say for sure. If he can walk normally on a surface that provides traction then he probably is okay or only has a slight issue. When he sits or sleeps how do his legs position? If he keeps them pulled in normally then he is probably fine.

I have noticed that sometimes when it is only a slight problem it does tend to get worse. I do not think there is any harm in using a proper brace to correct it. If it's done properly there is no issue with blood supply. Now is the time to fix it. The younger the bird is the faster it will correct. I don't think the sponge method works well on larger birds.

For my caiques I use vet tape or coflex, it is not sticky but it sticks to itself. I make bracelets for each leg and then tie them together with another piece going between them.
Thanks laurie.
Usually when he sleeps he puts one leg in a normal position and the other one slightly away, but as I mentioned when he walks on a rough surface he walks OK but his legs move slightly away from each other.
I tried to put like a rubber band on his legs for about 1 hour, everything was ok but he was sleeping in standing position which broke my heart
I don’t know if he can sleep well while he’s standing

Btw, for how long should I put the brace ? and can I put it along the day and remove it at sleeping time ?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Thanks laurie.
Usually when he sleeps he puts one leg in a normal position and the other one slightly away, but as I mentioned when he walks on a rough surface he walks OK but his legs move slightly away from each other.
I tried to put like a rubber band on his legs for about 1 hour, everything was ok but he was sleeping in standing position which broke my heart
I don’t know if he can sleep well while he’s standing

Btw, for how long should I put the brace ? and can I put it along the day and remove it at sleeping time ?
I don't think it really bothers them to stand but that is what it will take to fix it and it is much less of a bother to stand and sleep for a week or so then to be crippled and possibly in pain their whole life. I understand how you feel though. Although caiques don't always stand and sleep they often do and they are made for it. I don't think it is at all uncomfortable. It would be for us but we are designed to lay down and sleep, birds are fully equipped to sleep standing up even without falling off their perch.

I have seen people use rubber bands with a small straw in the middle so they do not get tangle but you have to make sure it is just the right size, you really do not want extra tension from the elasticity of the rubber band and it should be loose around their legs.

I basically make two bracelets out of vet tape (or whatever you can use) and put one on each leg, the upper part of the leg just below the body (not just above the feet). Then you need to connect the two with something that is just long enough to hold the feet in their natural position. You have to keep an eye on it an make sure it is not too tight as they grow. Usually you need it for a week to 10 days. You can remove it an check as needed but you will have to put it back on so I would plan on leaving it at least a week before checking. He would be able to walk with the brace on, even better than he can now.

I have found that it is easiest to make the whole thing first and then attach it to the babies legs. Sorry it's a bit hard to explain.

Trad_alwak

Moving in
I don't think it really bothers them to stand but that is what it will take to fix it and it is much less of a bother to stand and sleep for a week or so then to be crippled and possibly in pain their whole life. I understand how you feel though. Although caiques don't always stand and sleep they often do and they are made for it. I don't think it is at all uncomfortable. It would be for us but we are designed to lay down and sleep, birds are fully equipped to sleep standing up even without falling off their perch.

I have seen people use rubber bands with a small straw in the middle so they do not get tangle but you have to make sure it is just the right size, you really do not want extra tension from the elasticity of the rubber band and it should be loose around their legs.

I basically make two bracelets out of vet tape (or whatever you can use) and put one on each leg, the upper part of the leg just below the body (not just above the feet). Then you need to connect the two with something that is just long enough to hold the feet in their natural position. You have to keep an eye on it an make sure it is not too tight as they grow. Usually you need it for a week to 10 days. You can remove it an check as needed but you will have to put it back on so I would plan on leaving it at least a week before checking. He would be able to walk with the brace on, even better than he can now.

I have found that it is easiest to make the whole thing first and then attach it to the babies legs. Sorry it's a bit hard to explain.
Thank you so so so much Laurie ! I really appreciate ur help