• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is something wrong with this egg?

Encanto21

Meeting neighbors
Hello again! I wanted to get your opinions on this egg. Never seen one like it. It seems as if the air cell is sideways on the egg and towards the pointy end, not the fat end.

Baby is developing and moving around though. I have switched orientation of the egg in the incubator today but should I do something else?

(Quaker egg) I’m not sure if this is the correct section to post in but any advice is appreciated. Thanks like always for your help!

Attachments

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
The air sac can sometimes detach (it happens when shipping chicken eggs). They typically recommend placing the egg such that the air sac floats to the correct position and leaving it in that position for a day or so before incubating. Someone else will probably chime in but I think if you can position it so that it sits in the proper position I think it might be okay. Especially as the chick grows and fills in the space. If it is in the wrong position this chick may need help when hatching. There is some great information on Backyard chickens on this. Go to the website and do a search for detached air sac.

Encanto21

Meeting neighbors
@Shannan I lost it and its sibling too :crycry2: I have to be doing something wrong, they were so close. I have 2 eggs left :( poor babies

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
I’m so sorry . Sadly that happens. Check your humidity levels. Sometimes there is nothing you did wrong, it just happens. Be easy on yourself.:sadhug2:

Encanto21

Meeting neighbors
Thank you @Shannan I think I might’ve turned them too long, maybe I should’ve stopped when I saw the draw down :/ everything is good temp/humidity wise. I had one hatch and it externally pipped a day before I was supposed to start lockdown! Didnt even see the internal pip

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Yay to tje one that hatched, hopefully the other one will be right behind. I had one batch of 14 expensive chicken eggs and the only one to hatch was a little bantam they threw in for free. One of the best chickens I’ve ever had. Pictures of the babies would be great

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Aww :) glad something good came out of that! @Shannan This is our baby!
how stinking adorable. Hopefully the other egg will hatch soon. Is it a quaker? I think I saw that somewhere.

Encanto21

Meeting neighbors
Yes it is :) hopefully! I’ll let you know how it goes. Have them in the hatcher now :goodluck: thanks for your help!