• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is something wrong with my duckling's eye? A mark on her eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Ever since i got her she always kept her right eye closed when she is happy/relaxed, which is like 98% of the time. I noticed this morning that there is a mark on that eye, going across the middle, but not completely across her whole eye. It is whitish/blue-ish in color. It worries me. I hope she isn't going blind or something... Maybe it is a scrape?

I didn't think anything of her closing her eye because all my birds do this, everything from ducks, button quail, to parrots. But they don't do it as often as Scout does. Usually just if I'm talking very sweet to them, but Scout just sits around with that eye closed all the time... I'll see if I can get a pic of the eye. I have some but they aren't great pics.

She is 4 wks old btw.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like it could have been an injury/scratch to the eye. Is there an avian vet near you that could take a look? If it is scratched I would think they would probably give you something to put in the eye to help it:)

Sky

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Yeah, I suppose she will need to go to the vets :( I have some avian vets...not exactly sure which one I'm going to yet. Do you think the eye drops will need to have antibiotics in them?

Anyone have any experience with abrasions/ulcers to the eye? Really hoping this heals well and she doesn't have any damage to her eye...

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I havent with birds but we have dealt with it in horses. For them, the vets do a simple test to see how bad the scratch is and depending on that is what type of medication they will prescribe. They test first because some medications do more harm if the scratch is too deep. One horse I saw actually had the eye itself injected:eek: I dont know that they actually do that with birds - it was a pretty bad injury that horse had. Hopefully whatever your girl has is easily corrected:)

Status
Not open for further replies.