• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is smoking Cannabis near birds safe?

Haydenb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hayden Barr
Yes I know it's kind of a stupid and rather humorous question but, is it safe to smoke canibis or delta-8 in the same room as my bird & if so, is there a safest way to smoke canibis near the bird? Obviously I wouldn't blow smoke into my birds face but I want to make sure that it isn't as dangerous as bleach fumes or Teflon in case I'm not at a friend's house or outside and I'm in the mood to... y'know.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
It is not as dangerous as teflon, but it IS as dangerous as wood smoke or cigarettes smoke, neither of which are any good for birds. Avian lungs are very sensitive to particulates in the air and even short exposure can cause lingering damage. Chronic exposure can shorten the lifespan of a bird or put it at increased risk of respiratory infection.

You should not smoke or burn anything (candles, incense, etc) around your birds and try minimize exposure to strong fragrances. If you need to smoke weed, don't do it in the same air-space as your bird - not just a different room. Ideally, not even in the same house. Smoke travels further than you might think and it can linger on your clothing for some time afterwards. If you smoke often, consider installing an air purifier in your bird's living space for additional protection.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
That’s a hard no. Second hand smoke from cannabis has been known to cause extreme depression and vomiting in birds. Call a bird rescue or avian vet and hear the many horror stories they have of birds negatively impacted by it, some fatally.

Cigarette smoke had been shown to cause secondary bacterial infections when birds are exposed to it, but I’m not sure if the same is true for cannabis. However the risk is too high to be worth it.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Definitely no. Bad idea.

26 years ago I adopted/half stole a brain damaged kitten who’s sole cause of brain damage was exposure to cannabis- the original owner thought the kitten was cute and more tolerable when it was locked in the room he constantly smoked in, nothing I said to him mattered as he believed it would be fine. That was pretty crappy low quality stuff he was using but it still left the kitten very very messed up for the rest of its life.

Birds are a hell of a lot more sensitive to toxins and all other pollutants in their environment and in particular pollutants in the air they breathe- where it gave the cat I mention long term brain damage, it is more likely to end in a terribly cruel death for a bird.

Edited to add:- people can get high off second hand cannabis smoke so I don’t imagine the active ingredients/compounds in the cannabis smoke you exhale are likely to be safe for that reason also.

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No. I live next to pot smoking neighbors. I didn't realize how much of it infiltrated my home 'till I got birds &, more importantly, an air purifier (I don't have a good sense of smell). The budgies go quiet & look glum, I get snuffly & my eyes go red. No one likes it. And my air purifier freaks out. If I'm awake & they do it, I seal the door with masking tape, literally.

I understand some people use it for therapeutic purposes. There are other ways besides smoking of ingesting/ absorbing it that don't expose everyone else too. And it's not like it's good for your lungs to have smoke in them either. It's not.

Said neighbors now have an infant. It impacts brain development in people 'till they're 25 (when our brains stop developing). Yes, 25, not 16, 18, 21 or whatever else people might find more convenient. I shudder for the child.

I've always aired my home daily, no matter the weather, but do it multiple times a day now that I'm aware of the extent of the problem.

This topic ticks me off. :ovract:

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Please go outside to smoke and wash your hands when you come back before handling your bird. Even then its possible the smoke will linger on your clothes, but its far preferable to smoking indoors.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Yes it is stupid and there is not one iota that is humorous.
I don't think we should be shaming people for asking questions in good faith.

ps concentrate vapes produce far less "smoke" than do flowers. I'd still recommend using it outside, but I can't imagine that stuff sticking to your clothing.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sorry Matto that person obviously knew that the question was stupid - he said so. And evidently he thought something about the situation of abusing his birds was humorous.

Personally, I believe that he just wanted to advertise on this forum that he is a doper.

Haydenb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hayden Barr
At that point I'd talk to your homeowners association and/or their landlord if thier canibis smoke is protruding into you and your birds airwaves because that has to be some sort of code violation(& child abuse because marajuana exposure for young children is objectively unhealthy). That being said; your passive agressive comment about marajuana usage was unsubstantiated as there's not enough to no evidence for moderate marajuana consumption in 18-21 year olds stunting brain growth & I think you shouldn't paint with such a broad brush regarding marajuana users because I just want to make sure it's safe to do so in the same house before I even consider using it in front of her
(sources: Professor explores marijuana’s safe use and addiction Effects of Cannabis on the Adolescent Brain)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Let's not get into a debate about drugs; this is a family forum and the subject is already toeing the line of the rules we have in place, as are personal attacks.

Suffice it to say that smoke of any kind should not be done around birds.

If we can't stick to the subject as it pertains to birds, then we will have to lock the thread.

Haydenb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hayden Barr
I'm more asking to explain to my more avid user friends why I can't use it at my house and if even the smell of it on my clothes is bad. To clarify; I've never smoked around her and from what I'm seeing I'm gonna continue it that way because I know most if not all strong smells are bad for birds; I just didn't know the extent for it is

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm more asking to explain to my more avid user friends why I can't use it at my house and if even the smell of it on my clothes is bad. To clarify; I've never smoked around her and from what I'm seeing I'm gonna continue it that way because I know most if not all strong smells are bad for birds; I just didn't know the extent for it is
"I can't, it is bad for birds" is a complete sentence and does not need explaining ;)

If they can't accept that, you can explain that birds have extremely efficient respiratory systems. Recall "canary in a coal mine?" They would bring birds into mine shafts to detect dangerous substances. If the bird died, it was time to leave. The people were fine, but the bird, being more sensitive, was their clue that something was wrong.

https://www.reddit.com/r/parrots/comments/2ilwgg

Haydenb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hayden Barr
Thanks for the info; sometimes they can be kind of ignorant when it comes to how sensitive and fragile birds are and I wanted clear and consise answers on why we can't do it at my house even if my birds in another room

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thanks for the info; sometimes they can be kind of ignorant when it comes to how sensitive and fragile birds are and I wanted clear and consise answers on why we can't do it at my house even if my birds in another room
The answer to this really should be very very simple…. It’s your house and you say no smoking inside- you don’t need a reason or proof.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
If its your home & they are your friends then they should accept the boundaries you set in your own home for the safety of your bird(s)
If your user friends can't understand & give you arguments then don't let them inside or get new friends.

I can think of better things to do with my time then to have to defend my beliefs & actions of things I do in my own home to my "friends".

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As well as the problems caused by the smoke THC - Caniboids cause vomiting and seisures in animals so much so clinical trials for medical purposes dont use animals.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At that point I'd talk to your homeowners association and/or their landlord if thier canibis smoke is protruding into you and your birds airwaves because that has to be some sort of code violation(& child abuse because marajuana exposure for young children is objectively unhealthy). That being said; your passive agressive comment about marajuana usage was unsubstantiated as there's not enough to no evidence for moderate marajuana consumption in 18-21 year olds stunting brain growth & I think you shouldn't paint with such a broad brush regarding marajuana users because I just want to make sure it's safe to do so in the same house before I even consider using it in front of her
(sources: Professor explores marijuana’s safe use and addiction Effects of Cannabis on the Adolescent Brain)
There is ample evidence to support what I stated in scientific literature. Mizzely has asked that we stick to birds. If you are interested in peer reviewed articles on the topic, please PM me.

Where I live cannabis is legal. The situation I described, while regrettable, is not illegal.