• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Seattle, WA areas ok to raise a Scarlet Chested Parrot/parakeet?

Skeetyboi

Moving in
Real Name
Linda
I'm thinking about adopting a Scarlet Chested Parrot. My only issue is that I will be moving in November to Silverdale, Washington. I read from sources that these parrots love hot and dry areas and now I'm not sure if I should get one. I will be providing it a heat lamp, heater, and away from windows. I was wondering if anyone know if anyone can raise a bird over there. Please let me know.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Assuming you plan to keep the bird inside most of the time, the local climate shouldn't be a significant factor. You'll just need to be mindful of drafts in winter and ensure that your home has good heating options.

January and February are usually the coldest months. Expect snow/ice. The summers can get pretty warm. Spring and fall are very wet/rainy.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If you keep the bird indoors, and the house is heated, you should not need a heat lamp for any parrot that is already fully weaned and is healthy.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I live in western Washington state and have no issues. The mild summers make it great for rolling the bird cages out onto the deck for a few hours of sunshine. However, the long and rainy fall/winter can make it a bit dreary. Make sure you're providing an adequate diet to make up for the lack of sunshine.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Light is important - they love sunshine. Since it is overcast, you'll need to provide a light source. A full spectrum LED light should be good.

Skeetyboi

Moving in
Real Name
Linda
Thank you all for the quick replies! I will be raising my bird indoors for sure. I usually have the AC set to 75 during the day and at night its at 70 but I was thinking of getting them a heat lamp due to the fact the humidity is higher there and I sleep in colder temps. I will be looking into full spectrum LED light too to make sure they have good light. Right now I have Harrison's fine pellets for them and fresh veggies daily with the special occasions of fruit. The parrot will be 1 years old by the time I get her. I'll be sure to look up good diets for overcasted times. If anyone else has more suggestions on what I get please let me know.

Skeetyboi

Moving in
Real Name
Linda
Light is important - they love sunshine. Since it is overcast, you'll need to provide a light source. A full spectrum LED light should be good.
Do you have any suggestions for LED light? Is it UVA lights? If you know some good brands please let me know. There's so much out there that I just want the best.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
@Ripshod mentioned the full spectrum LED lights. Maybe he can suggest something. Since I live in the LA area, sun is not a problem but having lived in Seattle, I know what it means when the weather forecast say "occasional sun breaks"!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If the bird is eating pellets or will accept a change to pellets then there really should be no need to buy full spectrum lighting and the expensive replacement lamps you'll have to keep buying. Get the D3 into it's diet then add some general lighting from 'daylight' led bulbs over the cage to boost it's mood on dull days, and you'll be set.
Do you know what it's diet is/will be?

Skeetyboi

Moving in
Real Name
Linda
If the bird is eating pellets or will accept a change to pellets then there really should be no need to buy full spectrum lighting and the expensive replacement lamps you'll have to keep buying. Get the D3 into it's diet then add some general lighting from 'daylight' led bulbs over the cage to boost it's mood on dull days, and you'll be set.
Do you know what it's diet is/will be?
I have Harrison's fine bird pellets and Rudybush. Seeds is usually training or rewarding. Let me know if there is better pellets for them. I don't mind spending more on better quality.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I have Harrison's fine bird pellets and Rudybush. Seeds is usually training or rewarding. Let me know if there is better pellets for them. I don't mind spending more on better quality.
You really can't do better than the Harrison's or the Roudybush, both are great brands trusted by many parronts here, and I believe both are fortified with D3 so no need for the expensive lighting option ;)

Skeetyboi

Moving in
Real Name
Linda
You really can't do better than the Harrison's or the Roudybush, both are great brands trusted by many parronts here, and I believe both are fortified with D3 so no need for the expensive lighting option ;)
Thank you so much for the info.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Gorgeous birds, of course I'm partial to budgies and your little one is so sweet!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Here is an update on the pic. We decided to name it Greenie:). They are having their pow wow morning breakfast veggies.
I love that little odd group! Very cute!

Skeetyboi

Moving in
Real Name
Linda
Hahah they are kind of a mini flock. Where one goes the two other follow. I got them all seperate sleeping cages and a big flight cage with toys. So far Puppy(budgie) my godson named her and Chicken my tiel sleep in the same cage while Greenie looooooves his solo cage. It's a really weird mix but I love them. Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it!

Reactions: Ali