• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Rosie the "Mango" or "Kiwi" of Galahs?

BlueJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
Whenever I come across most people who talk about their galahs, a large portion of them are named "Rosie". It kind of reminds me of how many people name their sun conure "Mango", or people who name their green bird "Kiwi". Nothing wrong with the names; it just seems so common.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I'm not one to go with the trends so all mine are different to your usual names!

We have...

Birds....
Bourbon
Cream
Custard
Tea cake
Jammie
Ginger
Murray
Darling
Birch
Maple
Oak
Iris
Jewel
Balao

Other animals...
Spot
Alex
Earl grey
Napo
Chira
Frogbert (not my choice)
Froggy mc frog frog face (also not my choice)
Bailey (a bit more normal)
Bouncy
Squiggles
Kasana

You can tell I don't like to be normal lol!

I like naming some more exotic species after rivers in their native range.

I think Rosie just seems an obvious choice as they have that beautiful rose breast.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Our family tends to stick with food names for animals. But yes, Rosie is an extremely common name. So common that two different people with Galahs named Rosie came into the bird store within the hour we were shopping a few years back.

BlueJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
I usually went with names that fit the bird's personality, a shade of color, food-related names, or names I really like without worrying whether the name was uncommon or common. Although, I imagine it might be a terror to sort through lists of birdie patients for avian vets with multiple birds named Kiwi. :laughing6:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I kind of wished I named my Fred, Galah, Taz for tasmanian devil. Or Scotty, Scotty is so cute.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Frogbert (not my choice)
:lol: I like those names. Frogbert sounds such a cute name!

Ps, now I'm craving jammie dodgers.....

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
:lol: I like those names. Frogbert sounds such a cute name!

Ps, now I'm craving jammie dodgers.....
I would never pick them in a million years. My sister and my mum named them (sadly. I mean, I payed for them etc. so why should they get go name one?)

Napo and Chira are the other dartfrogs, named after Ecuadorian rivers. Hopefully it won't be long and I'll have a whole load of baby ones to name! I'm not sure Ecuador has enough rivers :loltears:

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I kinda wish I had a theme... Like African towns or something.. But I wasn't planning on having so many.
I just named them things I thought suited them, that was also a little more unique.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I kinda wish I had a theme... Like African towns or something.. But I wasn't planning on having so many.
I just named them things I thought suited them, that was also a little more unique.
I really like the names you've chosen! Do any of them mean anything in Spanish? (Sorry if you've said already in a different thread)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I had betta fish named Choptop and Nubbins, after the twins in the first two Texas Chainsaw Massacre films. I also have a pleco named Loomis, for Dr Loomis from the Halloween series.

I used to have millipedes, one was named Akeley (after Carl Akeley, the father of modern taxidermy) and the other was named Mallow (for the Kankakee mallow, a type of mallow found on a single island in Illinois that grows nowhere else naturally).

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do any of them mean anything in Spanish? (Sorry if you've said already in a different thread)
Nube is Spanish and means ¨Cloud¨.
Jaime is pronounced the English way. As is Sydney :)

The name info is on my ¨about me¨ page ;)

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
I usually went with names that fit the bird's personality, a shade of color, food-related names, or names I really like without worrying whether the name was uncommon or common. Although, I imagine it might be a terror to sort through lists of birdie patients for avian vets with multiple birds named Kiwi. :laughing6:
Now I want another ringneck and name it Kiwi :lol:

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I'm not one to go with the trends so all mine are different to your usual names!

We have...

Birds....
Bourbon
Cream
Custard
Tea cake
Jammie
Ginger
Murray
Darling
Birch
Maple
Oak
Iris
Jewel
Balao

Other animals...
Spot
Alex
Earl grey
Napo
Chira
Frogbert (not my choice)
Bailey (a bit more normal)
Bouncy
Squiggles
Kasana

You can tell I don't like to be normal lol!

I like naming some more exotic species after rivers in their native range.

I think Rosie just seems an obvious choice as they have that beautiful rose breast.
I love Frogbert by far the best tbh Ali... :roflmao:

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
At least you got to name your critters. I have a theme through sheer coincidence. I have two dogs and three birds. They all came from different places and were named by different people. All but one came to me with names already (my boyfriend named one of the dogs). I haven't gotten to pick a pet's name in 20 years.

Every last one of the little boogers, regardless of sex, has a typically-male, human name: Paco, George, Charlie, Gus, and Boo. (You'd think "Boo" would be an exception, but the only famous "Boo" I know of is Boo Radley from TKAM, so... yeah, human male). Nothing wrong with their names, but as a theme, it's kind of boring...

Last edited: