• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is rosemary essential oil dangerous?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I would really like to use it on my scalp but would like some input. If I make sure Blu never touches it with his beak would it be ok?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Let me look in my EO book. I know rosemary, the plant can be toxic to dogs in large doses. Back in a few min.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have not seen anything saying it is not safe for parrots. However I do see that it is recommended to not use it topically on, or diffuse around, children under 6.

It is one of the oils ones that I use quite a bit (great for scalp and face!). But my birds aren't cuddly or in my hair or anything.

Take that as you will!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would really like to use it on my scalp but would like some input. If I make sure Blu never touches it with his beak would it be ok?
Seems ok to me as long as he's not chewing your scalp.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
OK it is mentioned as an antimicrobial for parrots but it doesn't exactly say WHAT it treats. However, this site says it is ok to diffuse around them. so I would think it'd be safe in the way you are using it.

*I am only talking about the really good brands that call themselves human grade or whatever.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
the molecules in the air irritate their respiratory system. All essential oils do that.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Essential oils are one of those things that we're still learning about. I personally used Copaiba for Gizmo for her arthritis, with my vet's blessing, and it was a marked improvement in her movement.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Does the smell of cut grass, flowers, or the beach irritate their lungs?

I agree artificial fragrances do, and even some essential oils, but used correctly I think they are just fine

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Wow, thank you all for the replies!

Blu is definitely a snuggler and basically sits in the crook of my neck/cheek, like a potato, for hours everyday. He tries to preen the ends of my hair. He also sometimes tries to either mate, or beat up, my ponytail, depending on his mood. :facepalm:

But he never tries to touch my scalp.

So I think I'm like 80% comfortable with trying it. If anyone can show me that it's unsafe though, I definitely won't.

I really appreciate the info, so far!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
they smell, right? Anything that smells irritates their lungs. I'll check with my vet tonight.
OK but what I am looking for is the documentation -- not just "yeah it's bad" or "no it's safe." :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Essential oils are one of those things that we're still learning about. I personally used Copaiba for Gizmo for her arthritis, with my vet's blessing, and it was a marked improvement in her movement.
As I use my neti pot and my oil of oregano for a sinus infection.... I agree that they are useful, and am thrilled that your vet agreed to it. Some vets and physicians give a blanket "no" to anything they don't consider the norm. And since big pharma lines their pockets, EO's are definitely out of the norm!

There are a couple of experts who have good information on birds + essential oils. I consider myself on the beginner learning end of the spectrum -- I took a course in essential oils, but I don't know nearly enough for their use with humans yet, and certainly not much with birds! Or other pets! My original intent was to help the elderly in using EOs to enhance their health....now I am somewhat interested in their use with birds. But I haven't been able to get a foothold with someone who would mentor me...plus I am getting OLD .... and there are so many other interests.... sigh.

Ann Pauly

Checking out the neighborhood
Good evening. Most oils are ok for birds as long as they don't get on them typically. There are some like cedar that you don't want to use. The best thing to do is whatever oil it is you want to use is to Google it and make sure it's not toxic to birds as a plant etc. Please DON'T use any kind around your birds unless it's young living brand. They are natural. I think there is only one other brand besides them that are 100% natural also. Sorry if I'm upsetting anyone over brands of oils.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Good evening. Most oils are ok for birds as long as they don't get on them typically. There are some like cedar that you don't want to use. The best thing to do is whatever oil it is you want to use is to Google it and make sure it's not toxic to birds as a plant etc. Please DON'T use any kind around your birds unless it's young living brand. They are natural. I think there is only one other brand besides them that are 100% natural also. Sorry if I'm upsetting anyone over brands of oils.
Thank you! I was actually thinking about ordering Young living brand but didn't want to wait (or pay for) shipping. So I bought a little bottle of the Now brand from Whole foods today. It said on the bottle "100% pure Rosemary".

I haven't used it yet though. I thought Now brand was ok but not sure. If it says "100% rosemary essential oil" is that trustworthy?

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Not sure how I missed this thread I use Young living oils. I have used for goodness 20 years or so giving my memory and was given the go ahead that they are fine around sweet feather babes, way back when Whitney was alive by my bestest AVN in Canada when I lived there. :)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Not sure how I missed this thread I use Young living oils. I have used for goodness 20 years or so giving my memory and was given the go ahead that they are fine around sweet feather babes, way back when Whitney was alive by my bestest AVN in Canada when I lived there. :)

Thank you so much!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I personally will NOT use Young Living brand. Lots of legal issues over the years, but the biggest thing is they have also educated people in using oils in improper ways which can cause harm. Additionally, when I was on my year long researching binge on EOs, I could not find anyone to give me an honest, clear, and sensible answer as to HOW they are TRULY better than others on the market.

I use Plant Therapy. You can always ask them about their latest batch reporting, MSDS, and for responsible advice. They also get a lot of guidance from Robert Tisserand, who is one of the leading experts in essential oils right now.