• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is rehoming the best route.

MizzieJ

Moving in
Hi there

This is my first post and quite a heartbreaking one at that.

I've had my 2 babies for nearly 3 years now, they are my babies and i love them so.
With the recent goings on (covid/lockdown) my full-time employer has decided that they need to make me redundant as of tomorrow. Not only me but my husband as well, we both work for the same company and they are making both of us redundant.

This is our entire income for our household, and we have just moved house as well so this is a really scary time.
We have been furloughed since March and have had to use our savings to help pay for the new house etc. Im in such a terrible situation and afraid that we might lose the house.
We have been applying for everything and anything job wise but as you can imagine so are thousands of others that are in the same boat. Nothing has come through yet and its been a month of trying.

I'm looking at my babies and feeling that I can no longer provide them a home, this isn't something I've taken lightly but I can't even think about if we lose the house what could happen to them. I'd rather find them somewhere now rather than when it's an emergency situation and they don't get the best.

So about my babies they are green cheeck conures, one pineapple and one yellow sided. Lulu is the pineapple and is my little snuggle bug. Kermit is more my husbands and has quite the silly character.

They are both so much fun with their own completely different personalities that I very much adore.

We dance and sing away every morning and snuggle on the sofa of an evening. They love to repeat sounds and whistles and feel very proud of themselves, lulu can even whisper:heart:

As you can see I love them so much but couldn't put them through any hardship, we've already had to cut back on fresh veg/fruit as we simply struggling to afford it.

I never thought I'd be even considering rehoming them but feel it might be the best thing for them.

Will they settle okay if this does happen ? What should I do ?? 20200426_111659.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm very sorry that you feel that you need to rehome your babies. Have you considered other options, such as having someone foster them until thing get better for you?

Can you tell us what area you live in so people who may be interested can make a decision?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. Your birds are really cute. I wouldn't make any decisions yet. Hopefully things will turn around. I know they're not the best paying jobs- but at least here, grocery stores are short on workers, pizza delivery places/grub hub/door dash need people, etc. Those probably aren't long term solutions but might get you by. You could also look into someone temporarily fostering them for you, but make sure you have a written agreement that you are the owner and will be taking them back.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that your employer decided that you and your husband are redundant. Hope that you can find some kind of work to help you get by. Don't make a final decision about rehoming at this time. Wait and see if you can get other employment or check into collecting unemployment. See if there are any other possible income resources. @sunnysmom is correct that many of the delivery places need employees. Due to Covid there has been an increase in the number of people using shopping services such as Instacart, grubhub, doordash, etc. Check into delivery services and see if they have openings.
Hope that you can work things out and keep your babies!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Please pm me. I could order whatever food you feed and some birdie chop. If you’re close to me ( Michigan ) I could offer more help. ❤
@MizzieJ will not have PM privileges yet so it may be best for you to PM them.

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
I'm fostering chickens for a person in a similar boat right now. She comes to visit them on the weekends. I know it might be a while before she gets back on her feet. She and her family have lost their home and they are staying with her parents for now. These birds are much loved pets tho and this family has lost enough.

This person reached out for help in a poultry Facebook group that is specific to the area I live in. I didn't know her before this. There are people who want to help. Don't give up hope dear.