• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

is quarantine needed?

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
So i’m adopting a jenday conure on sunday. he’ll be joining my current flock and hopefully will bond with my jenday isla.

Avery is a year old and has lived with his old owner for most that time. she took him out of a bad situation where he was kept in a dog crate with no attention and a pure sunflower seed diet.

Avery has had no health problems and doesn’t live with other birds. Avery is her only bird.

Since he’s not a baby and hasn’t been around others i don’t know the rules for quarantine.

Any advice? x

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The hardest part with birds is that they hide outward signs of illness as much/long as possible. When a bird has its' home moved, it puts stress on the bird. That stress can exacerbate a health issue. That is why it is best to always quarantine a new bird.

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
quarantine doesn't even need to be because of health issues, it also gives your birds time to get used to another bird in the house, even if they can't see it. you should always quarantine for a month before introducing a new bird.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Always best to quarantine and be safe rather than sorry. I've seen a few members not quarantine with heartbreaking results. I didn't do well quarantining when I got my conure but I seem to have been lucky. I really was naive and would absolutely be diligent if I was bringing a new bird home.