• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is pothos bird safe?

JayBudgiz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jay
I have a pothos/devils ivy/moneyplant in my aviary. On many websites it says it is safe for birds, but then on a selected few it is listed as poisonous. My birds have never reacted badly to the plant and they are definitely healthy even though the plant has been in there for a few years now.

I however don't want to risk my birds health, so if you guys have any experience or opinions on what to do please reply!
My budgies do slightly nibble on the leaves, but mostly the just bath on it.

If you search Pothos – Epipremnum aureum then you will see the plant.
Thank you!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I thought I remember hearing that it's toxic to dogs & cats. I'll see what I can find on birds. :) There are a couple of threads about bird safe plants on here.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I found several places where it says it's toxic, but I liked this post from @iamwhoiam because it says why.

Pothos contains insoluble calcium oxalate.
Here's the info: "Insoluble calcium oxalate-containing plants include several types of common plants, including the Araceae family of plants, Dieffenbachia, Calla lily, Arrowhead, Dumbcane, Peace Lily, Philodendron, Pothos, Umbrella Plant, Elephant’s Ear, Chinese Evergreen, and Schefflera. Chewing or biting into these plant releases the crystals which penetrate tissue resulting in injury. When dogs or cats ingest insoluble calcium oxalate-containing plants, clinical signs may be seen immediately and include pawing at face (secondary to oral pain), drooling, foaming, and vomiting. Moderate to severe swelling of the lips, tongue, oral cavity, and upper airway may also be seen, making it difficult to breathe or swallow. Insoluble calcium oxalate-containing plants have a different mechanism of toxicity than soluble calcium oxalate-containing plants (e.g., star fruit, rhubarb, shamrock)."

Although only cats and dogs listed here it is also toxic for birds.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I noticed your pics on your other thread and schleffera (umbrella plant) is on that same list. It's a personal favorite of mine, but I don't keep them because of the birds. Luckily they usually do well almost anywhere in the home. :)

JayBudgiz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jay
I noticed your pics on your other thread and schleffera (umbrella plant) is on that same list. It's a personal favorite of mine, but I don't keep them because of the birds. Luckily they usually do well almost anywhere in the home. :)
I had that in there when the birds were first brought home, but removed it straight away after the photos.

I found several places where it says it's toxic
Weird.. my budgies dont show any symptoms... I'll still remove it, better be safe than sorry!
Thankyou for helping me figure it out!

Parokeet12

Checking out the neighborhood
I had this question last week when I realised that my parakeet eat quite a bit of pathos leaves. I came across various information online: two websites had it in their lists of safe plans for birds, and some other sources said it wasn’t. I gave my bird Romain lettuce and baby kale, it tried both and went back to pothos. I moved the plant outside.

It has been at least 4 days since the incident and my bird appears to be perfectly fine. I personally tend to agree with the sources that claim pathos to be safe for parrots. Parrots are quite different from dogs and, as far as I understand, have completely different diet. I am not an expert thought, so please don’t use my opinion as guidance.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Not safe for birds! But if by any chance you have hermit crabs..go pop it in their crabitat ;)

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not safe for birds! But if by any chance you have hermit crabs..go pop it in their crabitat ;)
Oh my gosh, crabitat. I had no idea that was a word but I love it.