• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Plastic Ok?

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
I've seen lots of toys with plastic straws in them, and I know Burt likes to sneakily try to tear up any plastic I'm using when I'm not looking, but is that good for birds? Usually when I see him pull apart paper he'll ball it up and spit it back out, but I'm not sure if that's the only thing he'd do with plastic if he got a chance. My fear is that I'd give him a straw to play with and he'd accidentally end up swallowing a piece of plastic and chocking.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I also use paper straws. My birds are destroyers but I do fear them ingesting plastic by mistake.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It really depends on the bird - like everything, really! Any of my birds have never actually broken any of the plastic I use, the more like to beak it.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Always a good idea to be cautious when it comes to toys. I'm very cautious. Plastic, depends, plastic comes in many forms from very soft to hard and very brittle. It's the brittle I won't touch. They can be like glass, sharp!
Soft is ok, ( for me anyway) , birds aren't dumb, they know it's not food. They like to chew!
My senny liked flying into kitchen, popping the plastic lid off coffee can, throwing it on floor. Go down to floor get the lid, and drag it back to his cage to chew up in a God awful mess!
But as always, use your judgement and common sense.
By the way, plastic when heated to very hot tempuratures or burned, released ISO cyanide. Very bad. Never put plastic in microwave, never cook or warm up birdfood in microwave in plastic containers.

Last edited:

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
Always a good idea to be cautious when it comes to toys. I'm very cautious. Plastic, depends, plastic comes in many forms from very soft to hard and very brittle. It's the brittle I won't touch. They can be like glass, sharp!
Soft is ok, ( for me anyway) , birds aren't dumb, they know it's not food. They like to chew!
My senny liked flying into kitchen, popping the plastic lid off coffee can, throwing it on floor. Go down to floor get the lid, and drag it back to his cage to chew up in a God awful mess!
By the way, plastic when heated to very hot tempuratures or burned, released ISO cyanide. Very bad. Never put plastic in microwave, never cook or warm up birdfood in microwave in plastic containers.

Good to know, I'll have to watch out for that. And your Senny sounds very clever :hilarious:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I prefer paper straws.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I won't give Buddy plastic unless it's in that Acrylic type. With one exception & he never has access w/out doing it w/ a human supervisor.

Hawk, :heart:in the new Poppers avie!

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My bird loves plastic.. Any plastic bag available and he is like crazy, wants to put his beak in it... It started when he was playing in the kitchen cabinets. At first he was making holes on the side of small bags for items like dry figs, pop corn etc.. Then he started tearing the strips he had made by making so many holes after each other. I was afraid he would swallow some so I packed all my bags in boxes. He started attacking crackers packages. Packed them in boxes. The more I packed, the more frantic he became when a plastic bag was available. Now he has no access to anything plastic, but the kids are afraid to make themselves a cup of cocoa because as soon as he hears them taking the box out of the cabinet, he flies to them in hopes on being able to chew the plastic bag inside! Crazy..

I'm so afraid that his little crop or belly are already littered with pieces of plastic that I won't take a chance. Plastic is banned from any accessible place in my house!

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
My bird loves plastic.. Any plastic bag available and he is like crazy, wants to put his beak in it... It started when he was playing in the kitchen cabinets. At first he was making holes on the side of small bags for items like dry figs, pop corn etc.. Then he started tearing the strips he had made by making so many holes after each other. I was afraid he would swallow some so I packed all my bags in boxes. He started attacking crackers packages. Packed them in boxes. The more I packed, the more frantic he became when a plastic bag was available. Now he has no access to anything plastic, but the kids are afraid to make themselves a cup of cocoa because as soon as he hears them taking the box out of the cabinet, he flies to them in hopes on being able to chew the plastic bag inside! Crazy..

I'm so afraid that his little crop or belly are already littered with pieces of plastic that I won't take a chance. Plastic is banned from any accessible place in my house!
I thought Burt liked plastic, but he is nothing compared to your bird :lol: Burt has managed to poke a hole a couple times into a ziploc bag when I wasn't looking, but luckily he usually just pokes holes and spits out the plastic so I'm not too worried about just a couple times. His next favorite thing is zippers. I can't wear anything with a zipper on it with him around because he'll make sure I have the hardest time trying to zip from then on out. Birds are crazy, but I can't imagine it any other way :heart: